cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems with broadband

rkannan

Speed problems with broadband

I've noticed a drop in my broadband speed. A BT speedtest returns the following results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.21 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

I can't remember how long I've been getting these low speeds but about a month back, there was a disconnection which I reported, at whcih time I was told the line would be placed under observation since the SNR target was too low. Yesterday I tried logging a fault through the broadband troubleshooter and it wouldn't let me create a new ticket, with the following error:
Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.
A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call.

I'm quite sure my line is capable of higher speeds so something seems to have changed. Can anyone suggest how I could find out?
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed problems with broadband

Hi there,
Looks like your profile had already increased on the BT side of things, I've just bumped it on our side up to 17000 to match so you should see a significant improvement shortly - please let us know Smiley
rkannan

Thanks Matt, that was quick! Smiley
So the download rate has gone up 10x but the upload rate is the same i.e. 0.35 Mb--is that expected?
Your reply took less time than what I spent waiting on the phone to talk to support before the battery on my cordless phone ran out.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi rkannan,
If you'd like an improvement on that, I can place an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped for you? That will complete by the end of the day on Monday. That will likely give you upload speeds of around 1Mbps.
Please let me know if you'd like me to do that and I'll get that sorted for you.
rkannan

Yes please, that would be really helpful. Thanks a lot.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem, I've got that order placed for you.