Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems on new FTTC install

andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Speed problems on new FTTC install

Hi all,
I've been a PN customer for 2 years and have been pretty happy with the ADSL service, getting around 7Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
I had my 40/10 FTTC service installed today and as I already have an established network decided against the bundled router. The engineer installed the Openreach modem, demonstrated sync, told me his line tests had indicated 40/10 and left. I disconnected the OR modem, connected my Cisco router (VDSL compatible) and after some reconfiguration had a connection.
Straight to speedtest.net and was rather surprised to see a ping of 15ms, 7.3Mbps down and 9Mbps up.
I decided to eliminate my network and have now gone straight from the OR modem into 2 different machines via a PPPoE dial-up connection with exactly the same speedtest results. And just to be absolutely sure, I've removed the faceplate, gone into the test socket with previously tested filters and ADSL cables.
Any ideas, because I'm stumped.
Thanks Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed problems on new FTTC install

Hi
What does it say here for Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Hi Andy,
Current line speed:
    7.8 Mb
Thanks.
AndyH
Grafter

That will be why - PN need to update your Current Line Speed to reflect your new 40/10 service. Sometimes orders are completed and this doesn't happen (no idea why!).
You can phone them up or wait for them to see this thread.
andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Ahh brilliant. Makes sense now that I've seen that page. I guess it's just the line profile that needs adjusting?
I've had quick responses on here before and the connection does work, so now that I know there's a reason for it, I'll wait it out.
Thanks for the quick reponse and help!
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
No worries Smiley
Yeah, it's the Line Profile Plusnet's end that needs changing (it only affects the download speed as there are no profiles on upload - which is why you can get 10Mbps now). It will take them 2 mins to fix and a simple disconnect/reconnect should give you your proper download speed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's been changed and updated for you.
andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Brilliant, many thanks Chris!
andrewwalker198
Dabbler

Tested the connection after getting home from work and very happy.
35Mbps down/9Mbps up.
Thanks again for the quick turn around and especially for the hassle free transition from ADSL.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

You're very welcome, glad everything is working as expected Smiley