cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems in Letterston?

culluding
Grafter

Speed problems in Letterston?

I did raise a support ticket about 24 hours ago but have yet to hear anything from Plusnet support.
Basically, my connection speed between the router and local exchange has dropped from 8Mb/s to 0.576Mb/s a few days or so ago. I've done all the usual checking of equipment my end but since talking to neighbours this seems to be a problem with a number of people across at least two ISP's (BT & Plusnet). So, based on that, I think it is more something to do with the exchange. Plusnet service status doesn't mention anything, which I find surprising considering that it seems to affect so many people.
I'm hoping a Plusnet staff member sees this and investigates, please. The BT speed test page took nearly 5 minutes to load, that's before starting the speed test! Results in images below.
TIA
Carl.
47 REPLIES 47
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed problems in Letterston?

You have been moved to a fixed rate product 576/288 instead of MaxDSL
This is the second post I have seen recently with this problem
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132636.0.html
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Carl,
I'm having a look into your fault this morning, I'll be back in touch shortly
Andy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds like a good guess there Jim. Openretch/BTw making cock-ups by the sound of it!
AndyT
Grafter

It's strange as both circuits are showing as Max profiles, but are both syncing as if on a fixed 500 product.  I'll be investigating this morning to see if we can find out if there is an issue.
culluding
Grafter

Thank you for your replies.
@Andy, thank you for your phone message. Just an update after speaking with other parents whilst collecting my child from school, this seems to be a problem affecting a lot of the village. My parents are down near the exchange and have the exact speed as me, 576/288. It does appear to be some sort of configuration/setting problem.
Another thing is there are road works going on across the road from the exchange (electrical company) but they started after the internet slow-down.
Looking forward to normal speed again 🙂
Carl.
andyj45
Dabbler

same here Carl, is it everyone on Plusnet or other ISP's?
My brother in law is on Sky and his is fine(according to him)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Sky would be LLU so not affected by BT mucking about
Anotherone
Champion

Is your brother-in-law on the same exchange andyj45? No LLU on Letterston Jim. It comes as no surprise that you are both on the same exchange when I read both posts.
What is a bit of a co-incidence as well is I wasn't more than a few miles down the road from you on holiday last week Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Must admit I didn't check and in fact there doesn't appear to be a Sky LLU presence in Pembrokeshire at all http://www.samknows.com/county/Pembrokeshire
andyj45
Dabbler

I asked him the other day and he said he was on sky. I asked him if he was sure and he said Yeh.  I was skeptical but then saw a sky router so god knows what he's on.
I hope they identify the problem and sort it out tomorrow.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't Sky do non-LLU broadband via BTw in some areas?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes they do. I don't know if they charge more though, especially on Market 1 exchanges.
culluding
Grafter

Quote from: andyj45
same here Carl, is it everyone on Plusnet or other ISP's?
My brother in law is on Sky and his is fine(according to him)

Is he on the Letterston exchange? I know a few BT customers have also had a drastic slow down but none of them know how to access their router to see the connection speed. One ran a speed test and scored worse than mine.
Carl.
culluding
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Must admit I didn't check and in fact there doesn't appear to be a Sky LLU presence in Pembrokeshire at all http://www.samknows.com/county/Pembrokeshire

You're correct, no LLU here. We have to pay more with some ISPs as a result.
Carl.