cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems (gillianken)

gillianken

Speed problems (gillianken)

Yes, all four of my PlusNet email addresses are now rejecting their passwords (all different ones). When is this going to be fixed, I'm expecting an important email and can't get it?
Yeez, why can't you just leave things alone, constantly meddling with things that have been working fine?
Bleedin annoying!!

You are very lucky to be getting the service you are currently receiving. We were sent two secondhand routers, no packing, no instructions and pieces of paper with user names and passwords written on them. 6 requests later and we now have another 2 routers properly packaged and with instructions. It takes nearly 7 minutes to load a page at 06.23hrs and gets slowly worse as the day proceeds. We are still using our old e-mail addresses because we are not allowed to set up a plusnet e-mail address. Tickets don't get answered and phone calls are left to be blamed on our BT line. So think yourself lucky you are at least getting some sort of a reasonable service.
10 REPLIES 10
gillianken

Re: No E mail

Sorry missed this bit out, the most common fault on here seems to be speed issues.
At 07.07hrs this morning I went onto http://top10.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/#home_iv27%204xj_download_0_all_all_6_1
you will note we have a speed of 0.4MB. Comments on that would be welcome.
gillianken

Re: very poor speeds

Our sales person told us we would average 6MB, not true. Try this link          http://top10.com/broadban...xj_download_0_all_all_6_1
you will note we have a speed of 0.4MB and that is unusually fast for us. Comments on that would be welcome.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: very poor speeds

Rather than hijacking other people's topics or posting irrelevant comments to others (comment about speed in a topic about email) can I suggest you start your own topic giving us some facts:
  • Router statistics (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin)
  • BT speed test results
  • A description of your setup
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    Oldjim
    Resting Legend
    Fixes: 63

Re: Speed problems (gillianken)

I have merged all your posts into one new thread
    jojopillo
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)
    Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gillianken,
    I have just ran a line test and checked your account and they both say you should be getting 7150k, have you run a speed test? If you can perform one here and publish the results we can see what's going on.
    Jojo Smiley
    gillianken

I have just ran a line test and checked your account and they both say you should be getting 7150k, have you run a speed test? If you can perform one here and publish the results we can see what's going on.

As requested here are the results
    Download speed achieved during the test was - 3404 Kbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
    Additional Information:
    Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
    Does this help, I have a screen print if you want the image
    gillianken

Rather than hijacking other people's topics or posting irrelevant comments to others (comment about speed in a topic about email) can I suggest you start your own topic giving us some facts:
        * Router statistics (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin)
        * BT speed test results
        * A description of your setup

Yes, I can see where you get the name Bright Spark. Certainly no room in there for polite.
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

The two most likely candidates for that speed test result are your connection to the router and MTU setting, a problem at your exchange.
    Are you connected to the router wired or wireless? If wireless could you run the test again wired. If that gives a better result check that your router MTU is set to 1500.
    Your exchange status can be checked here: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ (although that is a couple of weeks out of date)
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
    ReedRichards
    Seasoned Pro
    Fixes: 25

gillianken, I see that your actual download speed in the test is much much faster than when you posted earlier.  If you have changes anything then it was a change for the better.
    What you are left with is a system that superficially looks fine, it manages to sync at 8128 kbps and with an IP profile of 7150 kbps but you only got half that speed in the last test you ran.  Was this test run with the router connected to the test socket underneath the faceplate of the master socket?  The reason you do this is that this should isolate your internal extension wiring as this can sometimes have an adverse effect. 
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero

I don't think it is that, internal wiring problems would not give a full speed sync and IP Profile.
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)