Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems - angelab

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed problems - angelab

That is a BT old style junction box and I am not sure where the demarcation point is now.
Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster can advise,
angelab
Grafter

Not sure what you mean by "demarcation" there, Jim.  Is it a question of whether I have to pay BT or not?  Ia there something they are likely to do that will make a significant improvement to my speeds?
The speeds I enjoyed prior to the snail-like page-loading of earlier this week were acceptable - though nothing like as fast as that of the computers at my local library, for instance.  Being inclined to operate on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, I didn't look into my speeds until this week.  So I am happy to get BT in if it's going to make a noticeable difference.
I can't thank you enough for all the diagnosis and advice,
Angela
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Demarcation - is the point where BT take over the telephone line from your internal wiring.
If you were happy with the speeds before I would, as you suggest, leave well alone unless the problem comes back.
Assuming they did sort out whatever problem there was you should get about 4500kbps sync judging by your reported attenuation but there is equally a chance that you won't see any improvement and that would be £140 or more down the drain.
If you had a friendly electrician who knows what he or she is doing they could remove the cover from the small box on the wall and there should be two wires coming in and two going out to the master. Then removing the cover from the master you should see a bunch of wires attached to the front plate which feed the other sockets. Ideally there should only be  wires connected to terminals 2 and 5 but there may be connections to 3 or 4 one of which is the ring wire and removing the wires from connections 2 and 4 can give an immediate improvement. This explains about it http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm the description near the bottom is what you have.
angelab
Grafter

I've just remembered that I also have a bell for the phone, high on the wall in the hall.  That would possibly be another wire going out of the second (larger) box.  Would that affect anything?
Angela
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A bit of googling would tend to indicate that it should be filtered but I really don't know for certain
angelab
Grafter

I followed its wire just now, and it goes down to the cellar, into a part that I know is difficult to get to (requires both climbing and crawling!), en route no doubt to the boxes in the front room.
I think that's another sleeping dog that I might let lie for the moment!
Angela