Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of no more than 300 kbps for weeks

Tidgy
Grafter

Speed of no more than 300 kbps for weeks

Hi all,
I'm in desperate need of help. We've notived that our broadband speed is shockingly low and staying around 270 kbs download speed. We normally get around 2mbps. We've not made any changes to our equipment, but have been getting very bad fluctuations.
On 7th Feb i raised a support ticked and eventually on the 13th Feb some diagonostics were done, but at the time the speed had recovered. It remained briefly at around 2mb and now it's dropped back down again.
It's been under 300kbps since Tuesday 23rd. Here is a speed test

I've also run a speedtester.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 121 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3264 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 7.44:22.31:70.25 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
We've tried a different router, a different splitter and checked all wires. Our router states that it's only receiving the same as the speed test result.
Please help  Sad
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed of no more than 300 kbps for weeks

Please post your router stats
Speeds, attenuation and noise margin
Then plug the router into the test socket and provide the same information
Tidgy
Grafter

Router stats

Connection Speed 3264 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.3 db 18.0 db
Current speed..

Will do test socket...if there is one and post further info
Edit: no test socket on ours.  Sad
The router is plugged directly into the socket and there is no noise on our telephone line. If thats any help....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

At some point in the last 2 or 3 days you had a low sync event of just over 250kbps. We need to find out what caused it as you present router stats are good for your line.
Unless a Comms Team member picks this up I suggest raising a ticket (not a fault report) asking for the record of resyncs over the last week or so with dates and times.
Hopefully this will identify exactly when it happened which may assist in diagnosis
Which router are you using
Tidgy
Grafter

I have at last got some progress from Plusnet with my query. They responded with...
I have checked through your connection logs and noticed a very high number of disconnections.
BT's DLM (Dynamic Line Management) system can lower and raise the profile applied to your line due to the results it sees from ongoing assessments it carries out on your line. If the DLM sees stability issues this will cause the profile to be lowered with the intention of stabilising the connection. In the same way if the DLM sees a stable connection at a higher synchronisation rate it will usually raise the profile accordingly.
Unfortunately because of this if you have a lot disconnections it will cause a speed fault as an unfortunate side affect. If you are using a router you may not notice the disconnections as the router will reconnect automatically for you.

The speed has returned to normal and i will montitor it for further lapses.
Thanks for you help Oldjim 🙂

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looks like Jim had this covered and your speeds are back to normal now, let us know if they drop off again and we'll see what we can do.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.