Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed of new(ish) connection

timw2000
Dabbler

Speed of new(ish) connection

Hi,
I've been connected for a week now and my speed has never been above 600-700K on speed tests. My IP profile was at 8Mb and is now at 750Kb.
I know where I live until I get on the fibre trial I will not have fast broadband, but a neighbour gets better speeds than me.
ASDL checker gives me these results:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 984Kbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 1.984Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 13.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.6Mbps.

So I'm wondering whether an ASDL2+ connection would be better for me in lieu of FTTC?
I also have a friend with plusnet and he said I should ask for interleaving to be enabled as that worked wonders for him, I'm not sure if interleaving is enabled or not?
Finally, should I raise a question/ticket with this information?
Many thanks,
Tim.
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed of new(ish) connection

Hi Tim,
As your circuit is still in its 10 training period we will be unable to investigate this further with our suppliers. But I'll certainly look into this further once that period has elapsed. For now though check out our support page to maximise your optimum set up.
Jojo Smiley
timw2000
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for the response and I understand the 10 day training period thing. One question though, should the Output Power on my downstream connection be at 0dBm? The upstream is at 12.5 dBm, and the downstream has always been at 0.
Thanks again,
Tim.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wouldn't worry about the router's downstream output power being reported as 0dB. That is quite common, particularly on 21CN connections, and I think it means the power is the maximum possible.
You also mentioned in your opening post that your initial IP Profile was 8Mbps - did you get that from Current line speed on the portal? If so that isn't the actual IP Profile which is shown by the BT Performance Tester. The Plusnet Current line speed is set from BT Wholesale 'delta' reports, which lag a few hours behind IP Profile changes. Initially new connections don't have an official IP Profile and the Plusnet setting (maximum for the protocol) is a temporary one used until an official one is received.
David
David
timw2000
Dabbler

Both the portal and BT performance checker show my profile speed as 750Kb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI timw2000,
Your current sync rate should give you a profile of 2000 if the line stays stable. I will, however be happy to look into this further once your training period is up.
Jojo Smiley
timw2000
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Thanks again for your reply, this afternoon I took it upon myself to remove the bell wires from all my sockets, after doing this with the DSL bandwidth connection of ~1,000Kb/s my SN Margin increased from 6dB to ~15dB.
I then reset the modem and the new (current) DSL bandwidth connection is 2,688Kb/s and the SN Margin is back at 6.5dB.
However, my IP profile is still stuck at 750K, how can this be increased?
Thanks,
Tim.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You will need to wait impatiently for the automatic system to do it - about 3 days