Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed needs a kick

itsme
Grafter

Re: Speed needs a kick

Quote from: HPsauce
Hmmm...
With 50dB attenuation you could get nearly 5mbps.
What's your own phone wiring, extensions etc. like?

What with a 3dB snr margin!
Quote from: ForeverArsenal

Was renewed like for like several yrs back By BT when had a noisy line on dial-up,noise turned out to be
caused at top of near by tele pole, Just a terminal block,or a chocolate block connector as it's some time refered to.
From the connection block at front door I have 1 run that goes into living room and 1 run that goes upstairs
to extension socket by computer.
Have looked in connector block /checked that wires clean and tight in  connectors and checked the 2 telephone boxes on skirt board,only two wires connected,orange bell left out.
Was 5 Huh something telephone cable used by BT man when had noise on line.
Perhaps time to try option 3,BT proper that is.
The stats are from a Netgear  DG834 Version 3 by the way.
Again thanks for your help.
Barry
Thanks

Master sockets have been fitted by BT for 20+ years so if BT fixed your line several years back I'm surprised that they did not upgrade to a master socket. Also several years ago the phones were not fitted with a bell circuit, so did your phones ring or have you removed the bell circuit wire since then?
You have stated 2 boxes on skirting board, what are these? Normally it's a small connecting block and then a master socket.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: itsme
What with a 3dB snr margin!

No, normal. Predicted ADSL Max speed for 50dB is over 4800kbps.
(IP Profile would then probably be 4000?)
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

[

Master sockets have been fitted by BT for 20+ years so if BT fixed your line several years back I'm surprised that they did not upgrade to a master socket. Also several years ago the phones were not fitted with a bell circuit, so did your phones ring or have you removed the bell circuit wire since then?
You have stated 2 boxes on skirting board, what are these? Normally it's a small connecting block and then a master socket.
Hi Itsme
OK,From telephone pole 50 mtr away wires come into house,into terminal //chocolate block connectot,from connector block 1
single run of cable goes into living room where answerphone base station with wireless phone in holder plugs into a BT box on skirting board.
The phone system is a freelance XA 3000 .
The AX 3000 phone system has 3 other phones in diff rooms that sit in chargers plugged into mains.
The box where base station plugs into is 2.5 inches X 2.5 inches in size,has letter T stamped lower r/h corner.
Inside cover sits 1 inch long cylinder @top centre,@ bottom connector for white wire with blue trace in one corner ,in other corner of cover connector block for  blue wire with white trace,no other wires connected.
Back to old chocolate block connector 2nd run of cable goes upstairs to extensin box,has BT stamp @top left of cover.
Inside,another cilinder with 1.8mf/m/250 v, again only the b/white wire and w/blue connected.
Prior to having the BT XA 3000 phone system,approx 4yrs back,had 3 normal type phones that had to be plugged in into there own
extension boxes and on recieving a call all 3 phones would ring.
The bell wires have always been connected until I disconnected them 2 + yrs ago after reading in this forum that it is not needed to make phones ring if on broadband as phones would still ring without it and disconnecting *might improve speed of broadband*,
have lived here 29 yrs to date.
Not to well up on these BT boxes so one in living room may well be classed as *master socket* but it is not the type I have read about here many times about being able to remove a plate and connected router there so by passing internal wires for fault check.
***OUT of interest for anyone that understands them , these were my line stats from some yrs back(4 yrs +)after  joining +net,and being upgraded from 500kbps down to 1000mbps after a while of being on broadband.*****
Local Line Atten.: 50.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 26.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 5.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 21.0 dB
Thanks ,Barry
HPsauce
Pro

Those BOTH sound like old-style master sockets.
Any chance of posting a photo of the insides?
Or have a look here (scroll down the page) http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php
James
Grafter

The response from Plusnet staff is deafening with regards anything they can fiddle with their end.
Barry

As you'd probably expect at the times you were posting Smiley
It does sound like you don't have an NTE5 master socket install (which has a test socket).  Do you notice any noise on your phoneline when you are making calls?  This could impact the level of your sdignal and would explain the slight slowdown that you've seen relatively recently.
Let us know and we'll see what we can suggest.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Those BOTH sound like old-style master sockets.
Any chance of posting a photo of the insides?
Or have a look here (scroll down the page) http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php

Hi HPsauce.
photo of mine does not match any in the link,some bits similar tho and the cylinder thing in
mine is white,not yellow.
Did tack on to previous post line stats from way back after the main post,don't if good bad ??I am approx 1.5 miles from exchange.
If line stats are good ish does it give pointers why speeds getting slower, my end ? Plusnet ?
Thanks
Barry
HPsauce
Pro

The line stats do seem a bit odd.
The thing I don't understand is a downstream attenuation that was 5dB a while back is now 3dB.
The normal figure is 6dB anyway!
Having your incoming cable effectively splitting to 2 master sockets is certainly not going to help things. Ideally you need a proper modern master socket in place of the junction box, but BT charge a lot for that and the might or might not correct the other sockets at the same time.
One option to consider - can you move the phone base station to the same socket as the computer? The other socket can then be totally disconnected at the junction box which may help.
If you're confident enough to undo & remake connections it is at least worth testing, ideally also try it without the phone plugged in to see if that makes a difference too.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
The response from Plusnet staff is deafening with regards anything they can fiddle with their end.
Barry

As you'd probably expect at the times you were posting Smiley
It does sound like you don't have an NTE5 master socket install (which has a test socket).  Do you notice any noise on your phoneline when you are making calls?  This could impact the level of your sdignal and would explain the slight slowdown that you've seen relatively recently.
Let us know and we'll see what we can suggest.

Hi Jameseh.
To test telephone for noise on line
dial 17070.after lady talks choose option 2
remove router and filters first.
Have done this few mins ago and can't hear a thing,no buzz,no crackles, etc.Dead silent.
As regards *slight* slow down in last year or so have lost approx 1000 + kbps,from 3400 to now 2300 kbps .
Thanks.
Barry
James
Grafter

Hi Barry,
That's fair enough.  I'd certainly suggest following HPSauce's suggestion as they may help to give a bit of an improvement in your sync speeds.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

The line stats do seem a bit odd.
The thing I don't understand is a downstream attenuation that was 5dB a while back is now 3dB.
The normal figure is 6dB anyway!
Having your incoming cable effectively splitting to 2 master sockets is certainly not going to help things. Ideally you need a proper modern master socket in place of the junction box, but BT charge a lot for that and the might or might not correct the other sockets at the same time.
One option to consider - can you move the phone base station to the same socket as the computer? The other socket can then be totally disconnected at the junction box which may help.
If you're confident enough to undo & remake connections it is at least worth testing, ideally also try it without the phone plugged in to see if that makes a difference too.

Have just gone into router stats for line after disconnecting the router for the silent line test, and after router re-connecting line stats show this.

ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 3744 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db        14 db
Noise Margin      14 db                 17dd
So what ** goes on ?.
Hmm, after posting the line stats above,done plusnet speedtest
and now all of a sudden now getting downspeed is 2818 kbps.
First time for some weeks had this,so gone back from 2300kbps to the 2800 kbps
that I've had for past yr or so.
So come Plus,what did you kick  Grin
thanks.
Barry
HPsauce
Pro

PN didn't do anything, it's BT's exchange kit responding to your unstable/variable line as you go above and below one of their thresholds.
The Noise Margin is now higher, indicating:
a) A problem of some sort has been detected
b) Potentially higher speed once sorted
I stick with my suggestion of simplifying the cabling.
Also, try double-filtering the DECT phone base station.
PS What does the BT Speed Tester say?
godsell4
Rising Star

Looks like you are another person where the BT systems have put you upto a 15dB target noise margin.
You need to ask a PN person to provide the 'Delta Reports' for the last 30 days or so so we can see when BT changed this. I can not do this because of the DPA, you need to do it.
As others have stated this is a BT problem not a PN one. If you got your MAC and left, your would still have this problem but not get the support you need to get BT to change this.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

PN didn't do anything, it's BT's exchange kit responding to your unstable/variable line as you go above and below one of their thresholds.
The Noise Margin is now higher, indicating:
a) A problem of some sort has been detected
b) Potentially higher speed once sorted
I stick with my suggestion of simplifying the cabling.
Also, try double-filtering the DECT phone base station.
PS What does the BT Speed Tester say?

1310 hrs run bt tester gave this.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3744 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2651 kbps
went straight from there to Plusnet speed tester and that gave me 2997 kbps down.
Going to disconnection phone base station for few hrs  and play,regards the 2 telephone sockets on skirting board
think the one that goes from chocolate block to rear bedroom is only a extension socket from Argos ,so don't know if this is classed as a master socket ?Huh
Thanks again.
Barry
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4

Looks like you are another person where the BT systems have put you upto a 15dB target noise margin.

Hi SW,why has BT done (reason)  Roll_eyes
Barry
HPsauce
Pro

Going to disconnection phone base station for few hrs  and play

Be careful that you don't disconnect/resync the router too frequently/quickly or BT may see it as a problem.