Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed needs a kick

godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Speed needs a kick

Quote from: ForeverArsenal
... why has BT done (reason)  Roll_eyes

It is a mystery, your line like mine is very long at +50dB attenuation, I have a theory that is the reason.
But you, like me, are keeping an eye on connection and download speeds, and so have noticed the change.
If you can get the information from PN about your line connection history I asked for above, it may be able to show why.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi godsell4.
As you see I'm now back to the 2800kbps  ish that I've been getting for a while,twas only last 3 weeks or so that it went down to 2300kbps,hence the posts.
Played for a hr or so today,disconnected from my  BT terminal block [Censored] just inside the front door the line that goes to what I would say is master socket that has the phone system plugged into it.
That only left the run from term block to computer upstairs,BUT afraid no improvement in  sinc speed at exchange,tried disconnect modem and re-connect several times but always seemed to connect at 3776 kbps or
so.
Best download of the day was when things started getting better for some reason( still think Plusnet gave something a kick)  Wink was the 2997 kbps down before playing with things.
Like to thank every one who helped and made suggestions during this thread,it's nice to know the brainy ones are always willing to help us dumb old ones in time of need.
Thank you ALL very much.
Ps,plus staff if your reading this,how do I get the  line connection history,not that I'll understand it tho,but others will.
Best wishes to all.
cp:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi all, Hi ForeverArsenal,
In response to your last query, if Jameseh is reading this he may be able to pick this up for you and provide a 'Delta Report'.
Now I'm going to back track a bit here
Have looked in connector block /checked that wires clean and tight in  connectors and checked the 2 telephone boxes on skirt board,only two wires connected,orange bell left out.
Was 5  Huh something telephone cable used by BT man when had noise on line.

I'm assuming that this is Cat5e cable that the BT man used to re-wire your internal wiring when you had that noise problem.
As HPsauce said earlier a master socket isn't actually required at all, it helps to diagnose problems as you can legally connect/disconnect internal wiring without tampering with BT's wires.
As you've already checked your internal connections and there is no bell wire involved messing further with your internal wires and sockets will achieve nothing other than possibly getting into bother with BT. If this turns out to be a BT line problem, they will no doubt replace that "matchbox size teminal box" with a modern NTE5 Master LineBox, so you won't have to worry about that.
Meantime posting router stats, along with time of day when they were taken and the Line Up/Connect time will give the most useful information. Speed tests are of no relevance until your sync speed is up and stable.
I assume you leave your router connected and switched on usually.
If you are switching it off/on or re-syncing, best time is usually daylight early morning when noise levels are likely to be lowest and therefore give you the best connection speed. The router does not  "adjust back down" to a slower connection speed by itself, but if you have a bad line and it loses sync you could reconnect at a lower speed.
Was that really 3dB noise margin in your post #6 or a typo? (if it was, that indicates a high level of noise for some reason!).
Judging from the stats etc that you have posted, you may have a intermittent connection on your line, a dodgy filter or dodgy router. As the filter your router will be plugged into is doing nothing from the router point of view, swap it over with the filter your DECT phone is plugged into and see if that makes any difference. Also do a quiet line test with the router plugged in, if you hear any mush and it goes away when you unplug the router, this could indicate a dodgy filter or a dry joint out on your line.
Use a corded phone, unplug your DECT phone, see if that makes any difference. If it does, borrow/get a good filter and double filter your DECT phone (has been recommended elsewhere on these forums).
Finally try and borrow another router and see what the results are.
HTH. Post back some stats.
Regards.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Hi all, Hi ForeverArsenal,
In response to your last query, if Jameseh is reading this he may be able to pick this up for you and provide a 'Delta Report'.
Now I'm going to back track a bit here
Have looked in connector block /checked that wires clean and tight in  connectors and checked the 2 telephone boxes on skirt board,only two wires connected,orange bell left out.
Was 5  Huh something telephone cable used by BT man when had noise on line.

I'm assuming that this is Cat5e cable that the BT man used to re-wire your internal wiring when you had that noise problem.
Hi Anotherone
Ahhh, CAT 5e sounds good .
As you no doubt read my post last night my speed had somehow all of a sudden gone back up to 2800+ kbps,a speed I've had for past yr or so,twas prior to that 3400 down till BT dabbled at all exchanges as far as I know.
Well that did not last long as speed now down to 2300 kbps again  Sad
If this turns out to be a BT line problem, they will no doubt replace that "matchbox size teminal box" with a modern NTE5 Master LineBox, so you won't have to worry about that.
Good
Meantime posting router stats, along with time of day when they were taken and the Line Up/Connect time will give the most useful information. Speed tests are of no relevance until your sync speed is up and stable.
Ok,These taken @ 19:30 tonight.
ADSL Link  Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed 3648 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db         14 db
Noise Margin    7 db         17 db
Uptime was 7hrs 53 mins,that because I tried my other Netgear router dg834 ver 1,but I can't get all the stats from the version 1
router,I changed back to my version 3 Netgear one earlier today.

I assume you leave your router connected and switched on usually.
Yes all the time, lately have unplugged it several time to try and get higher sync,but it is always now around 3700 kbps no matter how many times I try over a period of time,was a time yr + back I was sync @ just on 4000 kbps and getting the 3400 kbps down  Sad
Normally I can't recall having any random disconnections unless I disconnect for hopefully higher sync or a power cut,tends to keep connected for ever as far as I know.
Never get higher down speed as router or whatever adjusts sync down to a lower kbps  speed ,know it used to take 3 days to adjust the down speed if you got and kept a higher sync ,but after BT's dabble at exchanges I thought it was suppose to adjust down speed hrs,never has happened for me tho.

If you are switching it off/on or re-syncing, best time is usually daylight early morning when noise levels are likely to be lowest .
Been ther ,done that.
Well, several months back I could diconnect router for short while,plug in and may get a sync of say close to 4000kbps,
download speed stayed at 2800 down,the router or something other  would not hold that sync speed,check router stats few hrs later and most times had dropped back to the 3600 kbps sync speed.
Was that really 3dB noise margin in your post #6 or a typo? (if it was, that indicates a high level of noise for some reason!).
Yes, was 3db,was stats from router. It varies from the 3db  to 14db,I can enter router and watch it change by the seconds as it goes up and down.
Judging from the stats etc that you have posted, you may have a intermittent connection on your line, a dodgy filter or dodgy router. As the filter your router will be plugged into is doing nothing from the router point of view, swap it over with the filter your DECT phone is plugged into and see if that makes any difference. Also do a quiet line test with the router plugged in, if you hear any mush and it goes away when you unplug the router, this could indicate a dodgy filter or a dry joint out on your line.
Use a corded phone, unplug your DECT phone, see if that makes any difference. If it does, borrow/get a good filter and double filter your DECT phone (has been recommended elsewhere on these forums).

Will have play again with all you suggest ,have had dect phones completlely yesterday found no change tho,will play again for longer time and change phone.
Finally try and borrow another router and see what the results are.
As stated,have tried for several hrs my older version router,always used to seem that it sync hygher than the newer one,but no diff now,still the 3700 mark.

Stats at 20:30
up time 8 hrs 44 mins.
ADSL Link  Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed 3648 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db         14 db
Noise Margin         6 db           17
HTH. Post back some stats.
Regards.

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

double filter your DECT phone (has been recommended elsewhere on these forums).

Plusnet did confirm that you should never double filter any device,  they went to say it has no useful benefit it could in fact cause more problems
Puddy
chillypenguin
Grafter

You could try an iPlate.
http://www.buyaniplate.co.uk/
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: puddy
Plusnet did confirm that you should never double filter any device,  they went to say it has no useful benefit it could in fact cause more problems

Interesting, I know of many people doing it with good effect, especially on Sky boxes but also on some DECT phones.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
You could try an iPlate.
http://www.buyaniplate.co.uk/

Shame,but no good for me afraid.
Who will benefit from an I-Plate and how do I qualify if my line is likely to benefit?
7 out of 10 UK homes will benefit to some extent – that’s approximately 9m Broadband lines. Only end users with both a BT NTE5 type Master Socket and extension wiring will benefit so it’s important these qualifying criteria are confirmed before you order your I-Plate.
Thanks any how.
Barry