Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed needs a kick

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Speed needs a kick

Hi.
Anyone help here plusnet.
A year or so ago before BT dabbled with the exchanges so they adjusted your downspeed
in hrs rather 3 days after after a reconnection at exchange I used to get approx 3400kbps
down,the good old days.
After the BT dabble my speed settled at a consistent 2800kbps down approx and has stayed
really steady at 2800 kbps for a year or more.
Approx 3weeks ago speed has gone down approx 2300 kbps and is staying there.
Have checked all connections and changed filters,made no improvements.
No hi tech things like BT face plates etc,just a matchbox size terminal block (checked) thats
been there for 40 years since house built.
Done BT speedtest,result below.
So can some at Plusnet try kicking a box or something please.
Results Image not loaded
Test 1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3776 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2290 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

37 REPLIES 37
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Speed needs a kick

Have you tried contacting your ISP?
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi geewizz.
As plusnet  are my ISP for the last 4yrs and more ,thought I might get a response or suggestion from Plus staff
without having to raise a ticket or request MAC (getting close might say).
Thanks for your reply tho.
Barry
cp:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The IP profile is correct for your synch speed, see here for more of an explanation https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync
Your connection speed is 3776, so that is greater than 3400 - where are the 3400 / 2800 etc figures from?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Can you post your router stats such as line attenuation etc, that would help give an idea whether anymore can be gained from you line.
Customer / Moderator
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
The IP profile is correct for your synch speed, see here for more of an explanation https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync
Your connection speed is 3776, so that is greater than 3400 - where are the 3400 / 2800 etc figures from?

Hi adiewoo.
Before BT stuck it's fingers in the exchanges (all) as far as I know a yr or so back I used to have a connection speed at exchange of over 4000 kbps,ended up with approx 3400 download speed.
BT dabble 1 yr+ back to improve things and connection resets to 3776 kbps and I got steady 2800 kbps down
for last year or so,happy with that.But now speed dropped to 2300 kbps for past few weeks but still connection at exchange of 3776 kbps .
If I unplug router for short while I can get a reconnect speed of over 4300 kbps or so for a while (a day or so)
then router adjusts back down to a connection speed of 3776 kbps.
Hope that clear.
Barry.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Can you post your router stats such as line attenuation etc, that would help give an idea whether anymore can be gained from you line.

Sorry adiewoo.
Should have put this in

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 14 db

Noise Margin 3 db 16db

That not all info from router but if I try a copy//paste of it all it ends up muddle when posted.
Barry
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hmmm...
With 50dB attenuation you could get nearly 5mbps.
What's your own phone wiring, extensions etc. like?
dvorak

Quote from: ForeverArsenal
No hi tech things like BT face plates etc,just a matchbox size terminal block (checked) thats
been there for 40 years since house built.

Here's a hint  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
HPsauce
Pro

Here's a hint  Smiley

Well, yes, obviously, but a bit of detail might help  Cheesy
A master socket isn't actually required at all.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Thanks adiewoo.
Assume you think this could be the problem,not 100% accurate saying been since house built.
Was renewed like for like several yrs back By BT when had a noisy line on dial-up,noise turned out to be
caused at top of near by tele pole,but box just inside front door is the same as it was that had been there for many,many years,same thing just newer.
Just a terminal block,or a chocolate block connector as it's some time refered to.
Any line test I've done on net sites normally comes back with line supports 3000kbps down speed as BT one did.
From the connection block at front door I have 1 run that goes into living room and 1 run that goes upstairs
to extension socket by computer.
Have looked in connector block /checked that wires clean and tight in  connectors and checked the 2 telephone boxes on skirt board,only two wires connected,orange bell left out.
Was 5 Huh something telephone cable used by BT man when had noise on line.
Perhaps time to try option 3,BT proper that is.
The stats are from a Netgear  DG834 Version 3 by the way.
Again thanks for your help.
Barry
Thanks
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: ForeverArsenal
From the connection block at front door I have 1 run that goes into living room and 1 run that goes upstairs
to extension socket by computer.
Have looked in connector block /checked that wires clean and tight in  connectors and checked the 2 telephone boxes on skirt board,only two wires connected,orange bell left out.

As you don't (apparently) have a master socket the bell wire SHOULD be irrelevant anyway, but....
In the main "connector block" is the orange bell wire connected to anything there?
PS As noted in another thread, helped a friend of mine recently to rewire the phones in his house that were remarkably similar to yours, right down to the ancient "block". He moved from running at 2mbps (with the BT web site saying maximum 3mbps) to a rock solid 8mbps! It was amazing what putting in a master socket, filtered faceplate and new wiring actually achieved.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hi HPsauce---Love the brown  Grin
Orange bell wires not connected to any thing/anywhere.
In box, 1 blue with white trace connected to matching  colour and 1 white with blue trace connected to matching colour,then pairs go off to different rooms.
Your other comments would mean getting BT in to do,probably cost the earth Cry
on fixed pension income  Sad
Thanks.
Barry
HPsauce
Pro

Well as you're probably at 80% of the best you could get maybe doing nothing is the most cost-effective option.  Wink
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Hmmm,Maybe,but why speed dropped from 2800kbps thats been rock steady for past year or more to 2300 ?
The response from Plusnet staff is deafening with regards anything they can fiddle with their end.
Barry