cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed keeps dropping

missisbeki
Grafter

Re: Speed keeps dropping

Had a random disconnection, though all lights were still on.
Followed advice of Matt (thanks) and did speed test.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Looks like its "getting there"
in which case, uncapping the US should not cause a problem (altho im suprised theres still a ~3 meg discrepency between throughput and profile...)
The increased US will reduce the chances of it being 100% saturated, and should improve performance - providing the line can remain stable Smiley
I'd give it a couple more days -- you might find tomorrow (later today?) that throughputs picked up even more and the lines settling Smiley
Regards
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI missisbeki,
Are you running that speed test wired or wirelessly? Is there anyone else on the network or anything else running when you conducted it?
I've checked your Traffic management profile and everything is ok there.
Jojo Smiley
missisbeki
Grafter

Running it wired, and nothing else on except the last time I was on the IRC chat but the last one was an improved speed anyway.
Will try later with uploading and xbox as I think it should have been uncapped today.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like it's scheduled for the 9th according to the ticket Smiley
missisbeki
Grafter

Ah my bad I thought it was the 8th. Lack of sleep getting to me. Did a speed test earlier and came up at 12mb ish. Will update later once I tested upload with xbox on. Thanks
EDIT:
Just tried uploading and playing xbox and it was so badly lagging and kept coming up saying connection problem, the second I cancelled the upload xbox ran fine not a single lag was had.
Also had a random disconnection about  30 minutes ago, the internet light on our thomson router went red, but not showing up as a disconnection in the stats.
missisbeki
Grafter

Looks like it has been uncapped now:

Tried doing a BT one but it wouldn't work with the upload.
Just tried a game of COD while uploading and it seemed ok but will keep trying just to make sure.
Thanks to everyone for their help Smiley
lexusuk
Grafter

Our line tester is now showing your sync rate as 17367kbps down and 1183kbps up so the line upstream is now uncapped.
Let us know if you have any other problems.
missisbeki
Grafter

Hiya, just letting you know we are still having problems with uploading affecting stuff, mainly the xbox.
Any ideas whats next to try?
matt_2k34
Grafter

What do you mean by "upload affecting stuff"
if you mean it increases lag, when your uploading photos etc. to FB then it may be worth setting up QoS (Quality of service, basically your router gives priority to a device, or port, or protocol (like web browsing)without having a 585 to hand, i cant help with that though currently)... or simply limiting the upload speed of the transfer your doing (Which should stop it killing the xbox)
Regards
missisbeki
Grafter

It increases lag and will cause us to disconnect from the party, and sometimes the game, but most of the time we have to leave anyway due to the lag.
It is also slowing down general browsing as well.
Not sure how to limit the upload speed but would that really make a difference considering it caused problems before it was uncapped?
matt_2k34
Grafter

you can use something *like* Netlimiter (not a free program, but im sure there is probably a free alternative somewhere)
You can set limits on individual programs (e.g. IE, set to 20KB/s upload) would only allow IE to upload at that speed.
If the reason your dropping out is because the comp is 'saturating' the bandwidth (e.g. theres an increased latency, or you cant do as much - because obviously your sharing the available bandwidth)
so it might make a difference, e.g. you can upload at 30KB/s, xbox is using 20KB/s and you start to upload a photo, this goes straight to 30KB/s and starts to slow (whilst this is happening, the XBOX has less/insufficient bandwidth) and would cause drop outs / poor ping etc.
Thats the first way, another way is swapping out the router (ive only seen D-Links to QoS *simply* and they do it well) -- however their customer service is an abomination - and you have to use IE6 to use their support wizard if you have a problem.
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Billion 7700N does that as well http://www.billion.com/product/wireless/BiPAC7700N-All-in-One-ADSL2-Router-Wireless-N.html and it is £49.99 from Amazon
Smooth, Responsive Net Connection
Quality of Service (QoS) gives users full control over outgoing data traffic. Priority can be assigned by the router to ensure that important transmissions like gaming packets, VoIP calls or IPTV/streaming content passes through the router at lightning speed, even when there is heavy Internet traffic. The speed of different types of outgoing data passing through the router is also controlled to ensure that users do not saturate bandwidth with their browsing activities.
missisbeki
Grafter

I might see if I can get another dlink router then. We had the old one that plusnet used to supply and loved it, even bought another when that one died but it recently crapped out so we went back to the thomson router. Could do with borrowing one to see if it makes any difference before I spend money buying one.
I know I have asked this before but it seems like the prioritising thing I should have on my package isnt working as I was told that gaming should always be prioritised but doesnt seem to be?
matt_2k34
Grafter

its prioritised on Plusnets network (e.g. you'll always get good speed)
But so is web, so on YOUR network it wont make much difference to you (gaming isnt 'over' web for example, until it gets to plusnet for them to sort out Wink )
I'll see if i can find a *working* router in my stash of spares (which i no longer need) you can borrow to test see if it makes a difference... I'll let you know if I find it Smiley
Regards