cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed just took a big dump

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Re: Speed just took a big dump

And it goes back to full speed for 10 minutes then back to 0.5meg, im so sick of this [Censored].
It's like i don't touch the internet for 5 minutes and it goes back to full speed, and as soon as i start using it again it tanks.
cedlor
Grafter

Have come to the limit of my knowledge of the subject - perhaps post  stats from current router, along with graphs from routerstats covering the same times as your ookla tests and hope a PN staff can suggest something.
On last idea is on the win10 task manager it shows last 30 hours usage - maybe check through  and see if  anything was running that you dont expect.  Also when your speeds are down and or cant connect again
look on task manager and see what apps and processes are running.  Again it is straw clutching  but something to try if nothing else fits the problem
Other thing is if your ticket is still open  go back and tell them sternly it is still not working  (and that you have tried different routers) and  ask if ( as EJS has said) if some work in the exchange - lift and shift- might help.  Maybe as it is seems to be only a night problem they wont want to do that. so ask them what they think it is.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: nightstalk3r
Been having slowdowns for nearly 2 hours now

That corresponds exactly with a high period of upload usage on your line, completely maxing out the upload bandwidth.
Next time it happens can you try stopping whatever is uploading and testing the speeds again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

There was nothing uploading, and if it was being maxed out the upload would be low on the speedtest but it isnt.
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps you could start comparing the US Payload and DS Payload bytes from the AR7 Modem Stats with how much data Plusnet think you're using. I don't know if RouterStats logs those, you might have to save them every hour or half-hour manually. Or record the amounts of data transferred by the router some other way and compare it with the amounts Plusnet see.
cedlor
Grafter

There was nothing uploading, and if it was being maxed out the upload would be low on the speedtest but it isnt.

Could Windows10 be "phoning home"
Chris
Legend

There was over 90MB per hour between 8-9 and similar between 9-10pm on that date, for a line with a 448Kb/s upload that's using it at max for a long period of that time.
Is there anything that does an auto backup, or any P2P seeding etc?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Not during those hours no, with this upload speed backups to remote locations are impossible so i don't even bother, i don't use P2P during the day, if i need to update any games that use a P2P updater i let them run through the night or when i leave the house.
When it comes to upload i try to keep traffic to an absolute minimum due to the shockingly low speed BT still provide to a large part of the country.
Anyway i have been informed by Wiltshire Online that Openreach have said my line is due to open for fiber order this week so im just going to wait it out, i've actually had no speed issues over the weekend or so far today, so i've probably just jinxed it again.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Well it's been a good week but i think deep down we all knew it wouldn't last, as of 7:15AM ish.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Just done a bunch of gateway hops ended up on 6 different gateways that made no difference, Wifi is turned off and all other Ethernet devices are disconnected from the router, network monitor open on my side screen so i can see network usage for this pc which is showing very very little usage, so if your systems show my upload being maxed out again then either your system is broken or someone is high jacking my line from outside the property.
Hour to look at is 7:15am to 8:15am
cedlor
Grafter

Anything odd showing in app history? - next box on task manager
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Highest usage reported there is 88.8mb by Mail and Calendar since 07/10/2015.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Looks like it's back to this [Censored] every evening.

Plusnet don't seem to give a [Censored] and the ticket i had open seems to have vanished without a trace.
I joined Plusnet as i had heard nothing but praise for their customer support but from what i have seen its shocking, will be going back to BT when fibre goes live i think.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

Well internet is pretty much unusable today, speedtests show my speed is fine but websites take an age to load and streaming video services like youtube, twitch, oddshot and any others i've tried will play for 10-30 seconds and then just stop loading.
Chris
Legend

And there's definitely nothing uploading/downloading in the background?
Over 8GB used so far today.