cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

PamWest
Grafter

Speed issues

Can someone check why my speed has dropped from 8.5MB to around 7.5MB on the 16th April, please see stats attached.  It's been fine since the 4th April, the upload speed is still around 730, so no problems there.
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed issues

It looks like there were a couple of drops early in the morning on the 16th, that's most likely the cause. I'm afraid there's not a lot we can do other than wait for it to readjust back to previous levels.
PamWest
Grafter

Only reason I wrote was that it seems to be dropping on daily basis, I'll keep an eye on it for the rest of the week and see what happens.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Just to follow up from Matt's reply I've checked your connection logs and you've presently been online for over 40 hours now Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PamWest
Grafter

I'm not queiring the fact of me being online, just why the download speed had dropped from about 8.5MB to around 7.5MB,  it had been around 8.5 since about the 4th April, then on the 16th April it's dropped by 1MB, during all this period the upload speed has stayed around 700-740 Kbs; that's what I was wondering if anyone had any idea why or can they speak to BT and ask them why please  Huh
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

What they are trying to tell you is, that if you are experiencing intermittent disconnections, the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) will alter your line speed to cope with any prevailing conditions.. hence you have had a drop from 8.5Mb to 7.5Mb line speed
Mine drops from time to time, I'm synced at 12.5Mb, but my line speed is set to 10 due to the DLM
Once your line has been stable at a higher speed for a few days, it should automatically increase the throughput on the DLM
does that make more sense?
Also, have you tried to find out why the line is dropping out? have you got something nearby which might be causing interference, or possibly even a failing filter somewhere.
PamWest
Grafter

Hmmm,  I've not complained, or experienced ANY line drops since end of March, so that's why I'm confused as to why my line speed had dropped on Saturday 16th April, the ONLY issue I'd raised was for my upload to be uncapped and this was done on the 4th April.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Nobody is saying you are complaining... but what I'd say is that it would make some sense that if you have had your upload uncapped, it may have sacrificed a small part of your download speed, which is why you have seen the drop since then.
I'll be happy to be corrected by someone with superior knowledge to me..
Epyon
Grafter

TBH
when i had a 4mbps line with plusnet uncapping my upload made little difference to downsteam though maybe i was just lucky.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Pamwest,
Uncapping upstream can sometimes compromise downstream but not always. When you say your speed has dropped do you mean the profile or the sync speed?
Jojo Smiley
PamWest
Grafter

Don't worry about this anymore, it seems to have picked up again, as the results show below:
Today 17:32
8567 kbps (1.07MB/s)
718 kbps (89.8kB/s)
I'm not really worried about my upload speed, it's still a hell of a lot better than it used to be at around 440kB, it was just weird that was, since I hadn't experienced any line drops whilst I was online I'd assumed everything was fine, obviously as Matt says, I did have a few drops (must have been whilst I was in bed)  Smiley
Thanks for all the replies.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, thanks for letting us know Smiley