Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

jonnybennett
Grafter

Speed issues

Hi,
  I have a problem regarding speed issues with Plusnet. My line speed seems to have dropped the last few months.
I have now fixed my router issue and the internet works, it just seems a bit slow compared to what it use to be.
My speed at one point was over 2mbps and that then dropped to about 2000kbps a few months ago on the plusnet portal. However now it shows as the following:
Your current broadband speed is 1500 Kbps
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that roughly 1.2mbps?. Not ideal really and I have deffinately noticed speeds decreasing.
I'm a bit confused as to why it keeps dropping and as far as BT is concerned I should atleast expect 2mbps.
One problem I have had for about 3 months is disconnections from the internet due to having a timeout of 5 minutes in my router, I changed this to 0 and it fixed the issue. Could this be part of the problem why my speeds are getting lower?
Also from reading this http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=STWEYMH I can receive ADSL Max in Weymouth?. Do I need to get a new router or something or is this just not provided.
Regards,
Jon Bennett
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Speed issues

Hi Jon,
I reckon the idle timeout could have had something to do with it.  If it's resyncing a large number of times on a daily basis, then there's an increased chance of a poor resync event, giving you a poorer IP Profile and thus throughput speeds.
Give it a couple of days and see if you notice an improvement.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, I will see if that helps.
Does that mean that the Plusnet Portal obtains the information from BT and displays my speed on the page?. Therefore if its a sync issue then the kbps will change.
Also would it be good to just leave my router on 24/7 from now on to ensure the speed is maintained?
thanks
James
Grafter

That's pretty much it.
Have a read of the speed link in my signature.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Thanks i will check it out.
So you recommend I leave my router on all the time then?
James
Grafter

I would personally, yes.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Thanks for your help. I will leave the router turned on from now onwards and hopefully I notice an improvement next week.
Cheers
jonnybennett
Grafter

Hi,
  I have now left my router on for 4 days and the speed still shows 1500kbps on the Plusnet Portal page. Any reasons why this hasn't gone up??.
It use to be 2000kbps and above at all times several months ago. Leaving the router turned on doesn't seem to have improved the situation.
thanks
James
Grafter

Hi Jonny,
At 17/12/2007 23:57:32, BT recorded a resync event at 1728Kbps on your line.  This caused your IP Profile to be changed to 1500Kbps (which is correct for that sync speed).
If you are now syncing at a higher level, your IP Profile should again increase within the next 3 days.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Does this mean that I should sync higher than this and BT will create a new profile for me?.
I use to always get 2000kbps and above. But it seems to be stuck at 1500kbps now.
jonnybennett
Grafter

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?near=weymouth+exchange&q=STWEYMH&f=p&rl=1
Also as far as this website is concerned I should be able to get ADSL Max
and google maps shows my house as being 1.5 miles from the exchange. Don't know whether thats good or not?.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: jonnybennett
and google maps shows my house as being 1.5 miles from the exchange.

Distance from the Exchange as the crow flies is an indicator of line length, but it can be very inaccurate as the physical cable connecting you to the exchange can (and often is) much longer.
Line length is also only one factor determining what MAX speed you will be able to achieve.  In addition to the length, the actual quality of the line is also very important, as is the number of joins in the cable between the exchange and your premises.
In addition, seasonal variations can cause changes in sync speed.  Historically, Christmas is a period of general low sync as plenty of people switch on their lights which causes a lot of crossfeed interference (honestly!).  In addition, central heating timers and other electrical devices can cause interference which can cause lower sync speed, or even disconnections.
The first thing to do in any situation where your sync speed drops is to check your own equipment.  Try your router in the master "test" socket, and try to isolate any possible causes of external interference.  After each step, check your routers sync speed, not a bandwidth checker. 
If you believe you've tried everything, raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net. ; Make sure you try everything suggested (if possible).  Doing so will pretty much guarantee that you won't be charged by BT for a callout.
This is paraphrased from Jameseh's excellent Broadband speed fault checker which is well worth a read.
B.
jonnybennett
Grafter

Thanks but how do i check sync speed.my router shows upstream/downatream if thats what you mean?.the speeds are:
2080/468
Is that what your talking about?.
mcgurka
Grafter

Yes that is the sync speeds of your router.
jonnybennett
Grafter

hmm the downstream has now gone up to 2176.havent restarted the router or anything though.i presume this will go up to the correct speed within 3 days and then my bt profile will change?.