cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues

ekhan605

Speed issues

I joined Plusnet FTTC early this week, and I'm not received the estimated speeds for my line. I'm estimated to receive 33mbps, but I'm seeing speeds of around 15mbps.
Also, I'm getting disconnections repeatedly.
Could someone help me out, please? Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15
ekhan605

Re: Speed issues

Speeds have gone down to 10.62mbps and I'm getting even more disconnections Sad
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi ekhan605,
Welcome to PlusNET and the forums.  There are no PlusNET support staff in the forums during weekends.  There is very limited information which can be obtained on FTC systems, but the guidance in the speed issues thread at the top of this forum does have some appropriate help.  Can you run the BT wholesale speed test and further diagnostics and get the "current speed" figure from the PN portal.
Is there any noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ekhan605

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate the help.
Estimated line speed:
   33Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-14 00:41:07
Current line speed:
   14.4 Mb
I can't hear any noise/interference when I select option 2.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
That's really useful.  There is clearly a fault on your line - the PlusNET profile is higher than the BT profile (never helpful) and rather suggests that the performance is degrading further.  You are way below the estimate.  Please raise a fault report here http:// faults.plus.net and post the reference number back here.  You might need to look at "my questions" under "help and support" after raising the fault report to find the reference number.
Hope things are soon sorted.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ekhan605

Also, I was under the impression that micro filters are no longer needed for fibre? I'm currently connected to an extension socket with a micro filter. I plugged it into the master socket,but I get the same speeds.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Also, I was under the impression that micro filters are no longer needed for fibre? I'm currently connected to an extension socket with a micro filter.
That sounds like the installation wasn't done properly. The engineer should have fitted a new faceplate to the master socket which provides a separate data only connection for the modem. This faceplate automatically filters any extension sockets which means that it's not possible to get a data connection at those sockets. The fact that you can get a connection at an extension tends to indicate they didn't do the install properly.

ekhan605

I thought so too. On the plusnet order form, I selected the option of having a data extension kit installed due to the master socket being in an inconvenient position. There was no new mastersocket installed, nor a data extension kit. I understand there's 10 day stabilisation period, but I've been told the speed wouldn't increase by that much in that period.
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

If a new master socket faceplate wasn't installed then you will still need filters, as before, on all the phones. If you've been running without filters at all then the DLM (Dynamic Line management) will likely have reduced the speed. Leave the modem connected to the master socket for the time being if possible and ensure that any phones are connected via filters. That may get things to improve but hopefully one of the PlusNet CRT will spot this on Monday and help arrange to get the install done properly.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Also note that the 10 day period applies to ADSL not FTTC.  For the first two days FTTC sorts out your line's profile.  Seems like you need to get your install reviewed and a DLM reset performed.  Do you know who did the install?  A real BTOR guy or a contractor?

ekhan605

I believe it was a contractor. It said Openreach on the van, but also had her name/logo on the side.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ekhan605,
I've updated your fault ticket for you and pushed this back to our supplier for further testing as the second round of diagnostics did show a few potential issues. I would hope that we hear something back from them within the next 24-48 hours and we can then see what the desired outcome will be.
If you need to see the support ticket, you can view it here.
ekhan605

Thank you for your reply. The disconnections mostly seem to occur when receiving phone calls.
ekhan605

Please can I get update on the situation from a Plusnet staff member? It's starting to get unbearable now (disconnects with every outgoing and incoming phone call). Thank you.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ekhan605,
It looks like we're still awaiting an update from the supplier on this one so we don't have much to share at the moment.
Just to check with you though, MisterW asked if you were using a filter on the socket given that the engineer didn't replace this with a new one, is this the case?