cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues: www.eve-online.tv

ianrstewart
Dabbler

Speed issues: www.eve-online.tv

I'm an avid player of Eve Online, and have been attempting today to follow the knockout stages of the PVP Tournament:
mms://eu.total-stream.com/CCPGames
Seems to be really slow today (admittedly it's coming up to 5:30pm on a Sunday night, which is somewhat to be expected), but I was under the impression that traffic such as this was prioritised. At present, I find it unviewable, as the stream cuts out every few seconds.
I have had it tested both from a friend with an account at Demon and another with BT (both of whom I understand do bandwidth shaping) and neither is suffering the problems I am. Results of the speed test are as follows:

Any advice on making this viewable? At present, it looks like my best option is grab a six pack and go and visit a friend...
Edit: I'm running on a MaxDSL product, no issues reported with my exchange and nothing on the Plusnet website to indicate any problems on their end. Reviewing http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/plusnet_shaping.htm shows me that with my current product and usage (the legacy Premier I & 13Gb used) the shaping should be restricting HTTP traffic to 1Mbit download right now with no shaping on the streaming - yet the site in question is attaining speeds no higher than 40 kilobytes per second, or 320kbps.
6 REPLIES 6
ianrstewart
Dabbler

Re: Speed issues: www.eve-online.tv

Exchange status is green, and my sync speed is around 5mb/s and has been stable there for some time. I expect it's this beloved "bandwidth shaping"...
LiamM
Grafter

Can you possibly run a BT Speedtest?
http://www.speedtester.bt.com
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I would suggest having a look at this page, you may find one of our new BBYW products are more suited to your usage needs.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Hi,
To add to what Chris has already suggested, Broadband Plus is designed for usage upto 4GB, afterwhich speeds are heavily restricted.  You've gone over this amount and as such, your speeds are restricted.
I'd definitely have a look at the BBYW products and they may well be of interest to you.
ianrstewart
Dabbler

I will certainly look into BBYW, and I can confirm no problems with my line itself after running the BT speed test.
As for the peak time restrictions, I've been using http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/plusnet_shaping.htm as a reference for restrictions on the line and traffic shaping. For streaming (and I understand mms:// to be streaming) it shows that there is no restrictions and that 0-13Gb of peak time usage is unrestricted. This is the bracket in which I currently fall.
I assume this information to be incorrect then, and that the restrictions are in fact much tighter than listed?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The 0-13GB restrictions are on the Broadband Premier account, not Broadband Plus. The page I linked to above should give you the usage allowance on Plus.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.