cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues...again

myth
Grafter

Speed issues...again

My line speed has dropped again on the router and im lucky if can get 6mb now. Several times now ive had to put a post on this forum just so someone can reset my ratios. Also less than 2miles away people are getting up to 20mb off the same exchange from Tiscali. How is that possible and why havnt you done the same? The only thing that seems to be stable is my latency which is always 55ms, i have the pro-addon as well so would hate to see what it would be like without.
Before we go through any setup questions I would like to state that nothing has changed since ive last had to notify you, im still plugged into the test socket as was never told to remove it again put and put the plate back on. I have also done all required checks that I need to do e.g. Check filters, use ethernet etc etc.

*edit have done full resets of everything, stats went back up to 8.9 maximum download and 1.1 upload. I give it another 24hours and that'll change again back down to 7 once it settles (never used to be like that), I also noticed a lot of FEC errors and others on my router stats ill post them again in a few hours due to reset, something is not right if I keep having to mention and reset. Its like my line deteriorates or my exchange is bumping me down the list and other ISP's hogging all bandwidth not fair n n dont see why I should be paying double of what Tiscali sell for half the speed.
11 REPLIES 11
myth
Grafter

Re: Speed issues...again

Just done BT speedtest -

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.47 Mbps

0 Kbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6.5 Mbps
myth
Grafter

My router stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 2:33:55
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,180 / 8,928
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 204.55
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 14.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8,568
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 398
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 607

and done another test using the BT speedtester:
. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
1.62 Mbps

0 Kbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.62 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6.5 Mbps
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi myth,
Really sorry you're having trouble again. As you'r still in the test socket I would suggest raising a fault so we can get this sorted once and for all.
Jojo Smiley
myth
Grafter

Reported last night, profile went up to 7.15mb still only getting 3mb download, something isnt right at all. This is my 2nd point of contact about slow speeds just for both our records.
* having just ran a few tests on a few sites the results vary, BT speedtester always showing the lowest with speedtest.net showing almost 6mb, thinkbroadband came in at 5.7mb but took 2 tests. Which is the correct speed?
* just checked my exchange (Lhanbryde exchange) and noticed any details of upgrading to fibre have been removed, was supposed to be 2015 when it got introduced. With my friend 2miles down the road (Fochabers exchange) on Tiscali he is receiving 20mb but is on a trial with them and its free. Also noticed his got upgraded on 28/09/2011 for LLU for TalkTalk. Now if they are testing new lines and speeds on the next exchange would that mean that with there increased speed the rest of us around would lose out? I had similar with SKY when more customers got put on my exchange I used to see drops of 0.5mb with every new router that appeared near me then continuous disconnects as the traffic management system changed order of priority. Starting to think my exchange cannot cope with more connections but its showing green and not at full cap.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Your profile was set to 6500, I've now upped this to 7150 to match that on the BTs side (as fast as is possible on 20CN Smiley ) so hopefully that'll improve things a bit. Your throughput should therefore be showing similar values, though please let us know if that's not the case.
myth
Grafter

Hi matt thanks for replying.
Ive been testing throughout the day using the bandwidth tester on your site and others, speedtest does say i get 6mb but that was only what it peaked at rest of time it jumped up and down from 0.5>6mb.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Unfortunately there's a known issue with the tester on mybroadbandspeed at the moment and it's delivering erratic results I'm afraid. Do you see similar results on a BT speed test (http://www.speedtester.bt.com)?
myth
Grafter

yes ive been getting same results on BT speedtester as well but some testers only record what it peaked at, when watching the tests the line jumps up and down erratically compared to previous tests done in the past.
Ive just done a test on thinkbroadband site it shows:

I think you may be right about a couple of the testers not working as they should, seems to be outside sources (not isp) that are giving the 6mb avg.  Starting to think I should just believe them instead, just odd the my profile keeps dropping down to the 6mb profile
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, last time your BT profile was at 6500 was on the 23rd, it's been at 7150 since then - not sure how often it's fluctuating from your side though?
myth
Grafter

Im not sure what is going on, ive tried several different setups regarding PC, laptop, phone and still doing the same. Over the weekend Ill rewire everything with new cables/filters and just run the 1 hardwired line over the weekend and test then. Ill post my router stats then as well, hopefully no DC between then lol. Ill keep an eye on things and if it gets worse again will be in contact, cheers for help, hopefully talk after weekend and get to bottom of this.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just run a diagnostic line test and all still seems to be well from our point of view. Give us a shout if it's still a problem for you on Monday and I'll make sure one of us get's in touch with you.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team