cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issue

spacedmonkeys

Speed issue

New FTTC connection, yes I realise I have to wait 10 days but really that will only lower my speed rather than increase it right?
BT Engineer showed me the synch and connection stats on his diagnostics tool - 20Mbps upload 80Mbps download, he commented it was a great connection speed
However it seems something is limiting me to 45Mbps
Been on speedtest.btwholesale.com and my results are:
1. best effort test - download speed 45.17Mbps, 77.43Mbps max achievable speed
IP profile for my line is 77.43Mbps
2. upstream test - 15.15Mbps, 20 Mbps max achievable speed
Upstream rate IP profile for my line is 20Mbps
I have tried using both the plusnet supplied router and my own Netgear DGND3700v2, both with the same result.
Hesitant to keep turning the BT hub off and on as I know that will just end up lowering my speed futher.
I have just run this test as well as per requirements (from portal.plus.net):
Estimated line speed:
66Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-09-12 14:49:15
Current line speed:
78 Mb
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed issue

Hi spacedmonkeys,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
I can't see anything that is restricting your speed, are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
spacedmonkeys

Hi Chris
I am connected directly to the router with a cat5 cable.
I have tried wirelessly too, but obviously speed drops a little.
spacedmonkeys

Hmm, seems that my 500Mbps Homeplug is to blame. Borrowed a laptop and connected directly to the router, obtaining 72Mbps. Same port connected to my pc through the Homeplug gives 40-45Mbps.
Oh well, please ignore the above, I'm an idiot!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: spacedmonkeys
I'm an idiot!

No, you had a reasonable expectation of your Homeplug equipment.  Smiley
Thanks for posting as this may help others in a similar situation.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: spacedmonkeys
Hmm, seems that my 500Mbps Homeplug is to blame. Borrowed a laptop and connected directly to the router, obtaining 72Mbps. Same port connected to my pc through the Homeplug gives 40-45Mbps.
Oh well, please ignore the above, I'm an idiot!

are you homplugs on separate ring mains ?
i get 30 meg on my 80av units but from the main unit the others are on 4 separate ring mains, apart from  one on the other side of the room (concrete floors) that achives the full 80 (same ringmain)
i did read a review when i was moveing into this house (and thought about upgradeing my old units for newer faster ones) but the reviwer said if the house has a circa 08 mains box then don't bother because the speed loss will be too much, better off getting a wifi bridge
so if yours are new enough and not as expected you could have a case for a refund
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you