cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issue around Milton Keynes

DrHibbert

Speed issue around Milton Keynes

Hi
Any others around Milton Keynes having issues of speed fluctuating? Yes I know that MK has the worlds worst infrastructure but it doesn't explain the fluctuations I am seeing of speeds 150K to 1Meg within a few minutes (Hardware etc all done).
To be honest this is a last ditch attempt to try and solve because all Plusnet will say is there are no faults and to call BT will cost upto £144 + VAT.
Thought I would see if anyone else had the same problems?
Regards Sad
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Speed issue around Milton Keynes

link:speed would probably be a good start.
The basic essence is:
1.  Try in the test socket behind the master socket.
2.  Check your exchange at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges and make sure it's 'green'
3.  If possible, replace microfilters, and try another router.
4.  Run a BT Speedtest and post the result
5.  Run an alternative speedtest and post the result
6.  Post the stats from your router (sync, attenuation and SNR margin)
If you try all of this, and still have no joy then raise a fault with Plusnet.  They will advise you of the £144 charge - however if you have completed all of the above steps then it is *highly unlikely* you will be charged (and Plusnet will fight BT on your behalf on this one)
Please post back with the above details and I'm sure we can figure out where the problem lies.
B.
DrHibbert

Thanks Barry
Done all that and now waited for Plusnet for 2 days to come back...........................nothing!
James
Grafter

Hiya,
It looks like you had a pretty detailed reply about an hour before you posted that.
DrHibbert

the fact I have to come here really says it all about the frustrations I am feeling
James
Grafter

Have you read your ticket reply (which was written an hour before you said that you hadn't had a reply for two days)?
DrHibbert

oh common - stop being childish about 55 minutes - ok you didn't reply for 1 day 23hours and 5 mins
zubel
Community Veteran

I think James was intimating that you may not have read the ticket reply before posting  Huh
Obviously I can't comment on what the ticket contains, but Plusnet may have had to perform line checks from their end, or pass investigation off onto BT which could have resulted in a delay of 2 days.
I appreciate that it can be frustrating dealing with a potential line fault, but in my experience Plusnet do try their hardest to get them resolved in a timely manner.  Sometimes their hands are tied regarding fault resolution times (for example, when they have to hand off to BT to perform hands-on maintenance)  but they generally do keep the customer informed.
I hope your fault has been, or will be resolved shortly!
B.
DrHibbert

Thanks Barry
Appreciate the comments you made. If the fault is rectified I will post so others can learn.
Kind regards
James
Grafter

Ultimately, if you want us to, we can rasie the fault to BT for you.
Whilst I do apologise that your ticket wasn't replied to within a timely fashion, I'd also point out that the reason why we're a little papprehensive to raise the fault to BT is the potential charges that would be owed by you if an engineer went out and found no fault.
So, it's entirely up to you.
DrHibbert

Apologies accepted
As agreed on the ticket I will let you monitor for the next few days then we can agree how to move forwards
Regards