cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issue after BT OR dug up the road...

DKDKDK

Speed issue after BT OR dug up the road...

Hello! Despite being told I would get about 2mb when I signed up, I normally have a stable 5.5 - 6.5Mb connection, SNR of 6, attenuation 36dB, data rate in 7000s, best about 7800Kb.
Today, down the street I saw a BT Openreach van and a couple of guys doing something in a ditch.
Later I was aware of slow speeds so I did a speedtest and it was giving me non-existent upload and about 2.5Mb download. The router stats gave me high noise margin and data rate of 3500Kb-ish.
No problem I thought, I will restart it and it will go back to normal. I've done this a couple of time over a few hours, and have achieved data rates of max 7000Kb, noise margin 9,  this is what it currently is. Not as good as normal but I would expect for it to improve and wouldn't worry about it.
However, my speed test have consistently show about 2.8Mb which hasn't improved with the data rate increase.
How soon can I expect my speed to go back to what it was? I'm not expecting miracles, just interested to know.
Oh I can't do the speedtester from BT as it won't work. Router is a Belkin  F5D8631-4 v3 (01) with the lastest firmware in the master socket. Nothing has changed on my side.
Thanks for your time Smiley
DK
Currrent:
  Type Interleave Path
  Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
7040Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
9 21

Output power(dBm)
123 199

Attenuation(dB)
36 18
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Speed issue after BT OR dug up the road...

Quote from: DKDKDK
How soon can I expect my speed to go back to what it was?

About 3 days if your noise margin were still at 6 dB.  About 17 days if it has increased to 9 dB. 
DKDKDK

Might take forever at this rate, I was changing settings with the wireless connection from another PC, and it rebooted twice, and the SNR went to 10 and then 13.
I hope that BT OR van comes back tomorrow, I'd like a word!!  Sad

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
5792Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
13 22

Output power(dBm)
123 199

Attenuation(dB)
36 18
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

No problem I thought, I will restart it and it will go back to normal. I've done this a couple of time over a few hours, and have achieved data rates of max 7000Kb, noise margin 9,  this is what it currently is. Not as good as normal but I would expect for it to improve and wouldn't worry about it.

Don't reboot your router too often and never between 6pm to 7am unless you need to.  Rebooting too quickly as you have been, can make the BT system see a faulty line and increase your snr and lower your IP profile.  Also its worse if done 6pm-7am unless you have to.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: DKDKDK
I hope that BT OR van comes back tomorrow, I'd like a word!!  Sad

If they don't come back and you can resist the temptation to fiddle with your router for a few days (to establish that you have a stable connection) then you can ask Plusnet to retrain the line which will reset your SNR back to its default value of 6dB.
DKDKDK

Good advice, thank you both. Smiley
It is currently 10. Is it possible, and this is what I'm worried about, that what they have done has introduced noise that wasn't there before? I mean could it permanently stay higher now? Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit Tongue
I'm also worried about teh retraining as I'm only supposed to get about 2-3Mb which I don't. Or didn't. I got 6Mb somehow, and I don't want to be fobbed off with 3 mb is all you can expect...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't quite the situation
I assume that during the BT Openreach mucking about your line had mutiple disconnections/problems and in its wisdom the automatic system in the exchange said - we have a problem - and to fix it increased your default noise margin (the one it uses to fix the connection speed) to 12dB or even 15dB
A retrain resets the default noise margin to 6dB and providing the line remains stable at that it will stay and you will get much better speeds - this is nothing to do with what the exchange checker thinks you will get which is often a load of rubbish
DKDKDK

Actually I was on the computer all afternoon while the van was in the road and I never noticed a disconnection at all. I only found the router stars were down to 3000kbps when I looked to see why things seemed a bit slow, and I couldn't upload anything tp FTP.  I never had any notification they would be working on my line.
I'm on a single track road, and I guess the phone cable runs along the verge betwen the road and the water filled ditch. One of the guys was in the ditch; and when I had walked past the day before, the sunken box (about the size of a 4l tub of ice cream) had its lid off and there was water in it!
So I never had any reconnections  that I noticed, etc but I never had a problem with my connection until the OR van was there. Guess I willl ahve to wait for a few days for the retrain...? If that doesn't help I'll go and pin a notice to the exchange door asking them to fix it! Smiley
Current:

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
6816Kb 448Kb

Noise Margin
10 21

Output power(dBm)
123 199

Attenuation(dB)
36 18

The speed has invreased I notice taht's good.  Guessit just the noise holding it back now.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

With 36dB of attenuation your data rate should be in the high 7000s kbps (assuming your telephone exchange has not yet been upgraded so you are still on ADSL rather than ADSL2+).  Your inferior speed test results are probably  due to some temporary throttle being applied, possibly as a consequence of the engineering work in your street.  BT's throttle is the "IP Profile" shown if you run the test here http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ .  Plusnet's throttle is shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed as the "current line speed".  Ideally they should be the same but the Plusnet throttle tends to lag behind the BT one.