cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed increase success

Walter
Rising Star

Speed increase success

I followed the help advice ref;  http://www.kitz.co.uk/index.htm and installed  DMT-v8 to increase my B/band synch speed.
Had great success with Voyager 2091 (unlocked) and DMT-v8 to increase my B/band synch speed.
Have just installed a new D-Link 2640B (thank you to Plusnet), and had equal success increasing my speed by 30% and still have a s/n 9.6.
So please add this one to the list of adjustable routers. 
Thanks Plusnet for leading me to this route.
Now my question is, now that I have proven that my connection is capable of over 5.0mbps rather than the measly 3 or less I have been  lumbered with, how do I request a permanent up-rating at this level? 
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed increase success

Quote from: Walter
how do I request a permanent up-rating at this level? 

As you're effectively on BT's network you almost certainly can't.
What SNRM did you adjust to?
(a friend of mine uses DMT to "get back" his 8mbps that BT have "stolen" when his wiring was faulty and just plain refuse to readjust now it's fixed so it's a DIY job forever)
Walter
Rising Star

Well I am hoping that Plusnet will be a little more influencial with BT than me.  I was led to believe that if I maintained this speed over a 5 day period my line would be automatically be reset, or am I taking the bait here.
In the early days of broadband I have seen my sync speed near to 6000 and s/n =6 .
Recently my line had been set to S/N of about 15 to 20 (ie that reduced my speed to average 2500 - 3900 kbps .
Using the DMT program I gave it the max re-adjustment  to 10% on the vertical slider and that resulted in S/N = 9.8 and a sync speed of 5152.  This is my best adjustment so far as I caught the line at a favourable setting at 3800,  probably best achieved out of busy hours at the weekend.
(Sorry I could  not manage to insert an image file of the DMT screen in here but have included it as an attachment)
MickKi
Grafter

If you're talking about your IP profile, then yes it can take up to 5 days max to have it increased to your latest high sync speed as long as you hold onto it continuously.  To have your SNRM reduce (so that your speed is increases) will take longer, up to 30 days or more.  Eventually it should reduce, although some people had to ask for their target SNR to be reset.  Careful though that if line errors cause it to increase again, BT won't be as obliging again.
HPsauce
Pro

With that line attenuation (length) you're very lucky to get anything over 4mbps so I doubt BT will oblige.

The best way to do the adjustment is to disconnect the router from the line, boot it up, start DMT and set the level, request a resync and immediately plug it in to the line.
That way BT never sees it resync at the higher margin and lower speed.
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks MickKi ,I'll be able to leave it on for 2 weeks this time and wait awhile beforeI can let it run for a month. I can see some HEC errors, what level is thought reasonable?.
Well, HPsauce, I did have regular speeds in the 5-6000 range before I got chopped a long while back soI'll be happy in that range.  Many thanks for the tip starting DMT I'll try when I have to reboot.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Walter
I did have regular speeds in the 5-6000 range before I got chopped a long while back

That suggests a major change in the condition of your line, or a misreported attenuation.