Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed halved

firkin
Grafter

Speed halved

Hi
My lline had some problems recently that have caused the profile to drop. I've been constantly getting nearly 4 mbps but after the huge outage a week or so ago my speeds have been halved. Also I keep losing my internet connection and have to reboot, sometimes with sucsess and sometimes not. I've done all the usual tests (new filters, different routers etc..) but the problem persists.
Is it possible to give my profile a kick up the backside please?
(edit spelling error as pointed out by my teacher wife) Crazy
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed halved

Can you provide the line stats as requested in the speed problems sticky on this board
firkin
Grafter

Hi Oldjim
There are only three stickys on this board, two are locked and I can't find a place to post my line stats on the other. I did attach a screen shot taken from a BT speed test site this morning, would this be the line stats you mean?
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You post them here and this is what we need
Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream) - only available for ADSL not FTTC
firkin
Grafter

OK, now I understand.
I hope that these are what you reqire:
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is indeed what we need and because of the problems you had the defailt noise margin has increased - probably to 15dB - and this can only be sorted via a line reset
Plusnet will want to be certain that the line is stable before doing that so leave everything connected for a few days and then - if the line is stable they may be able to do it
You didn't explain what the line problems were but if they were external to your property and not things like a power cut than I suggest raising a fault at https://faults.plus.net
firkin
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim
As I said in my opening post it was after the huge outage at PlusNet towers that my problem occured. I tried the usual tests, (filters, different router etc..) but the connection still drops and my speed is half of the usual. This problem  happens after an outage and normaly I raise a ticket but the response is never fast or even solved by just raising a ticket.
I raised a ticket three days ago and, as per normal, i'm still waiting for the problem to be fixed. What I have done in the past is wait then post on here. Bob or another PlusNet tech person will sort it  with out with no fuss. But it being a weekend I doubt that any PlusNet staff are working so I'll just keep on waiting 'till they are back on duty.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

An outage at Plusnet wouldn't cause it
What almost certainly did is you changing router, filters, etc. which the automatic systems saw as instability
If it ever happens again you need to see if the broadband and internet lights are red - if it is only the internet light which is red and the broadband is still green changing routers, filters, etc is not recommended as that isn't the problem
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
... the problems you had the defailt noise margin has increased - probably to 15dB - and this can only be sorted via a line reset

Oldjim, the reason I'm posting on here is that I have an on going problem, it's not a matter seeing if the problem happens again. My speed is half of what it was and my connection keeps dropping. It must be conincidental that all of these problems occured right at the same time as the huge outage a week or so ago.
firkin
Grafter

Hi
I've just noticed that there are some Plusnet staff on and answering speed problems. Reading other posts it seems that some sort of throttling may be happening. I have just taken the BT performance test and as I suspected my speed has been reduced. As I stated before I have been getting nearly 4mbs but now my profile is 1.3 mps.
Has throttlng been introduced?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Plusnet aren't throttling anything
I explained earlier why the speed has dropped
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: firkin
Has throttlng been introduced?

It's a consequence of the target noise margin set, which effectively tells the line to run slower to achieve a higher signal to noise ratio.  You say you're getting drops in connectivity?  If so then these need to be resolved, otherwise even if Plusnet changed the target noise margin then all that would happen is the line would drop more frequently.  Have you raised a call on the phone to Plusnet? 
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: aesmith
Have you raised a call on the phone to Plusnet? 

Hi aesmith
I have phoned Plusnet  support but there was a very long waiting time every time I did try. I did raise a ticket four days ago and the progress has been slow to say the least.
Thanks for the reply.
dick:green Quote fixed.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: firkin
I have phoned Plusnet  support but there was a very long waiting time every time I did try.

Don't pay too much attention to the estimated wait time, last time I called they estimated 60 minutes, but actually answered in a couple of minutes.  The tech who answers will see any existing ticket on your account.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is looking much more stable and the speeds have increased since you move to the test socket. let us know if you have any issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.