Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed halved tonight

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Speed halved tonight

Hello,
I normally get around 76mbps  / 16mbps solidly, but right now I am getting 35mbps / 18mbps. I have been using the net all day and not noticed any issues. I went out at  6pm, now having got back I noticed I am having great difficulty streaming on iplayer.  So I performed a speed test & got the above result.
I would still expect iplayer to stream ok @ 35mbps down, so I guess there is more going on than just a speed issue? The service status page doesn't seem to suggest any current problems apart from scheduled maintenance in the early hours for some areas. (I am in Brighton BTW)
If there are issues across the network, how long does it take for the service status page to be updated to inform people of these issues?
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed halved tonight

jan
Rising Star

would Nuneaton affect my speeds in Brighton & Hove?
Also it seems odd that my download has halved but upload speed has increased by 2mbps?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No but your  exchange may also be having the same problem
jan
Rising Star

and increased my upload bandwidth?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

that is probably just a coincidence or a foible of the speed tester
jan
Rising Star

in all the time I have had this connection (I think around 8 months now) the same speed test has never shown anything other than a miniscule variance in the upload speed (ie it has always been 16.nn)  yet since 9pm this evening it is has been constant at between 18.7 and 18.8mbps.  I'm not an expert in broadband networking, but I am a software engineer & have been on some form of broadband (ADSL, ADSL2 and FTTC) since 2002 - and to me this looks pretty weird.
I work from home & use the connection constantly so I am very sensitive to changes in bandwidth. My download speed has never varied by more than 2-3mbps since I had the connection no matter what time of day or evening. Which is why I don't believe exchange congestion can be the issue (I was getting 76mbps last night for example)
edit..
I checked and have had this conneciton for 15 months not 8 as I guestimated above.
tried the TBB test too

Oldjim
Resting Legend

in which case please run the BT speedtest further diagnostics and report the current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jan
Rising Star

I just ran the BT wholesale test twice - after rebooting the router (billion bipac 7800n)
ping 22.5
Further Diagnostics:
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

I got the same results twice.
plusnet linespeed -
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    38.6 Mb

jan
Rising Star

I have submitted a ticket.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'll grab that when I'm in the office tomorrow morning for you and see what I can find.
jan
Rising Star

Ticket number is 83068654
thanks & sleep well.
jan
Rising Star

On the congestion front - it is now 6:50am and the speed test is the same so I'm positive it is not congestion.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Good morning, Jan.
I can see that Dan has picked up Ticket: 83068654 already and we've identified a slight drop in speed last night, more of a temporary blip in the area which has forced your speed profile down.
We've made changes to that profile which should start to see your speeds pick back up over the next few hours. Really sorry for the inconvenience caused.
jan
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
  5-10 minutes ago it was still at 36, but just now it has returned to more normal speeds

thanks,
J