cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed half what I was promised

cherryll1961

Speed half what I was promised

I signed up with Plusnet in September and I was promised bb speeds of 4.5 -6.5mbps.  I am currently getting about 1.5mbps in the evenings at peak times and sometimes in the daytime.  I cannot watch bbc iplayer because it keeps buffering and when working from home I get timed out of important forms as the speed is so slow.  I contacted Plusnet who informed me that my line can only support a max of 2.5mbps and I was missold (their words).  However if I want to leave I will have to pay a minimum of £96.50!! I can pay £15 month for fibre though - or £11.50 with a discount but will have to sign up for 18 months.  I don't want to commit to paying more for a longer contract than I initially signed up for.  This company is a joke - I wish I had stayed with EE but we lost our discount as gave up Orange phone contract  - you live and learn I suppose!! Robbers Angry
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Speed half what I was promised

Hi 'cherryll1961', and welcome to the forum !  Smiley

If you put your telephone number into the "BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER"
that should give you an indication of the speeds that BT estimate are available for different broadband types on your line.
If those estimates are much different from what you are getting, then that might indicate there could be a problem perhaps with the telephone line to your house, or maybe an issue with your internal wiring, etc.
Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you post the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Judging from the estimates for your line you should be able to get more than 2.5Mb.
I'd suggest letting us investigate this as a fault by going through the steps at https://faults.plus.net so we can get the best out of your line.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.