cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed going further and further down. Is anyone going to help and do something

darcy
Grafter

Speed going further and further down. Is anyone going to help and do something

I can only get just over 1mb speed in the area I live, yet I still have to pay £11.99, which I would not mind, if the service was worth getting, but the intermittent speed drops to unacceptable levels are totally p***ing me off. This goes on and on and on, and every time I have to wait another 72 hours before someone deals with it, and then wait until it gets sorted out, usually another 3 days, whereafter it works for a short time and as soon as there is bad weather, the speed drops to next to nothing and does not come up again. BtT has repaired the lines between my home and the exchange so many times, it is unbelievable, and it is obvious to me that there are faulty connections on the lines, as it has to wait until there has been dry weather for a few days and then it comes back up  - SOMETIMES. Out of a month I get less than 10 days of any speed that is acceptable and bear in mind that I only get around 1MB.  I cannot even watch a video clip with that.I still have to pY 11.99
This time, again ,last week, stormy wet weather has caused this drop in my speed and I have gone through all the fault finding stuff as requested with Plusnet and finally had to borrow a router from my neighbour,  who is with BT for her broadband, and after re-booting, my connection rate came up but speed did not.  That was what they wanted me to do, to see if it my router was at fault - try another router. I know this borrowed router was working perfectly as I saw it working, before I borrowed it, and my neighbour has not the same problems as me. Today, everything has dropped right back again to a useless speed, and I am being told I am in another queue for assistance about this. Obviously it was the re-booting of the router and not the different router which had assisted the connection speed.. When am I ever going to get this sorted out once and for all. Plusnet must be paying BT as a wholesaler, I am paying Plusnet 11.99 and I have got a [Censored] service. Make them sort this out !!!   This is worse than when I was with PIPEX.
Here are my speed tests.
Your Response
4:10pm, Saturday 20 Nov 2010This is my lates BT test
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
274 Kbps
0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 274 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :512 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
Your Response
8:36am, Sunday 21 Nov 2010Speed test today 21/11/10 at 8.30am
Download Speed
297 Kbps
0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 297 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your Response
10:24am, Monday 22 Nov 2010test today at 10.20am
FAQ

Download Speed
291 Kbps
0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 291 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your Response
8:29am, Tuesday 23 Nov 2010Is anyone going to answer or help PLEEZ ????Huh
BT test today at 8.30am
Download Speed
292 Kbps
0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 292 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :512 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM
Yesterday after changing the router
[removed] - CSC Analyst
1:48pm, Tuesday 23 Nov 2010Dear Mrs Simkin,
As per our conversation, since changing your hardware the line speed has increased however the line profile will not change until the line re stabilises. Once this occurs this should resolve your fault.
Please monitor this
Downstream Link Info  
 Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
63.5   7 2 0 58609 1184

DSL Max Data  

BIP Interface Data  
 Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
350 2010-11-18T11:48:07 N 2010-09-23T11:31:49 576

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[removed]
Today
I would like to inform you that my speed has dropped again despite another router.
My latest test at 7pm 23/11/10
Download Speed
283 Kbps
0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 283 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :864 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
Your Response
8:23am, Wednesday 24 Nov 2010My speed has dropped even further this morning, so it obvious the router is not at fault. here is my latest speed test.
Download Speed
80 Kbps
0 Kbps 250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 80 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
[removed] - CSC Analyst
8:35am, Wednesday 24 Nov 2010[internal]
EU advises issue persists, RADIUS shows disconnect. Advised EU of SLA.

Kind regards,
[removed]
Your Response
11:07am, Wednesday 24 Nov 2010Test at 11 am.
Download Speed
83 Kbps
0 Kbps 250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 83 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your Response
11:22am, Wednesday 24 Nov 2010Test at 11 am.
Download Speed
83 Kbps
0 Kbps 250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 83 Kbps
Additional Information:
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
jim:orange although the title isn't all caps it is still shouting which is against the spirit of the forum rules so modified mod:end
17 REPLIES 17
neil3045
Grafter

Re: Speed going further and further down. Is anyone going to help and do something

I'm in the same boat. Was going to buy black ops for ps3 but have had to put it off for weeks now coz of my connection:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
108 Kbps

0 Kbps  250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 108 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :640 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed going further and further down. Is anyone going to help and do something

Hi darcy,
I see it has today been raised to the supplier. What was your connection speed with the borrowed router?
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

After plugging in the other router the connection rate went right up to over 1100 but the speed kept dropping as in the speed tests above. I now have to wait until BT and see what they can do. I am not happy with Plusnet at all as thisi is happening every month and I barely get 2 weeks of internaet access at 1mb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi darcy,
If you're getting a good sync with another router then you would just need to leave it plugged in for 72 hours and the speed would pick up.
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

Have you actually read my thread? The speed has DROPPED not picked up !! I was down to 70kpbs  and even lower today. Changing the router had the effect of a boot up to the connection spped but not to the profile and actual spped I was getting, but after that, it dropped right down again to an unacceptable level. What an absolutely awful service. IT HAS NOT come up. It has gone down, so it was obviously NOT the router at fault..
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi darcy,
Thank you for you time tonight. I will retest the line in the morning and we can see where to go from there.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Darcy,
Thank you for your time again this morning. As per our conversation the line now seems to be holding out. I have reset the SNR and your sync rate is now 1632k. If this continues the the profile will lift to 1250k.
If the line appears to become unstable again, don't hesitate to contact me so I can test it further.
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

Hi Joanne, my speed seems to be slipping down again Here is the latest test a few minutes ago.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 624 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :928 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI darcy,
Yes, I've noticed that. This is because the SNR has crept up now. This will not affect your current profile of 750k and as the line has settled form the reset it has come up to 11dB which is not uncommon for a line of this length. The current rate would I imagine still fall under 'acceptable levels'
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

Big drop now. Do you have any advice on this now?
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
58 Kbps

0 Kbps 1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 58 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :928 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI darcy,
The main thing from that is that the sync rate and the ip profile hasn't changed. Although the throughput was low on that test, there could have been a number of things that caused it. i.e. updates downloading in the background as one example. I wouldn't worry about doing speedtests unless you find that browsing is becoming really slow.
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. Should the profile  keep creeping up then to the speed you spoke of today?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI darcy,
with a sync rate of 928k the maximum profile you will get will be 750k which you have now. I have looked into putting you on a fixed product but the maximum available is 512k so that wouldn't help.
Jojo Smiley
darcy
Grafter

Thank you for your reply Joanne. Will my sync rate go up?
TYhe other question is that I only have a digital couple of phones in the house which work now that I have the router plugged into the test socket. I need more that that as the house is spread out. What can I do? The corded phones do not work and only the one attached to the test socket and it's sister works.