cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed for country folk

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Speed for country folk

Now just to wait for your IP Profile to update and you should have access to much faster download speeds.  Your line is actually performing in excess of what it should - just don't tell your router!  (Seriously, your router may be misreporting your actual attenuation so don't worry about it overperforming :P)
Expect the line to fluctuate a little over the following 10 days as it settles down, but it certainly seems there is another satisfied customer. 
B.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hats off to Barry Zubel and Oldjim for excellent diagnosis in this thread, and to PeterLoftus too for resolving the problem! You're now up to a 5500kbps profile and 7dB real-time SNR on a 6dB target. Based on your current sync rate of 7264kbps you can expect the profile to nudge up to 6000kbps if the line remains stable Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

All we need now is www.­mybroadbandspeed­.­co.­uk working so I can see my speed  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

PeterLoftus
Pro

5232 Kbips 15.17 today thanks ReedRichards, I don't like putting my e-mail address on websites like the one you recommend so I am still lacking a graph to make my world perfect  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could use this one and providing you login it will be recorded http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=...
PeterLoftus
Pro

have checked https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and its still showing 1Mb for my estimated speed does it matter?  Tongue
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No it doesn't
It's a load of rubbish.
This is mine and I have had a sync rate over 4500kbps for months
Estimated line speed:
    1.5Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-07-08 22:22:58
Current line speed:
    4 Mb
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

It would be nice to get those sort of speeds in town 😉
PeterLoftus
Pro

Hi guys!
Things seem to have settled to around 4.5Mbips
Would you please read the runes for me to see if things are progressing as expected  Smiley
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/131218473945785717857.png

Uptime: 1 day, 11:50:59
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 988 / 6,016
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,016
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 1.09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 10.5
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

Huh
jim:green img tags added mod:end
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is there a question in there Peter? Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Your figures look to be pretty much exactly what they should be.  You have a slightly noisy line, (denoted by the downstream SNR Margin of 10.5, which is likely a default of 9) but your line is holding up pretty well considering.
Idealised speed throughput for a 44.0dB attenuation line is:
dslMAX 6,112 kbps, IP Profile  5,000 kbps, Throughput ~4,500Kbps
B.
Mathias
Grafter

Wow, what a useful thread, learnt lots from it and also from the following links (hope they prove useful for others too):
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/14441-sky-router-stats-speed-noise-attenuation-explained...
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
Glad that your speed has improved Peter.
Am going to check mine tonight and see if there is anything i can do to improve mine. Although i don't live in the country, i live in a pretty old house ~1900 and am unsure of the general quality of the wiring in the property, so wonder if this is having a negative impact. Now i know what to look for and what can be done about it.
PeterLoftus
Pro

Thanks, Mathias, Barry, Jojo
Yes I live in an old house and the telephone wiring is pre 1981. When I started this thread we had set our our home office on the second floor (third floor in the US) at the end of some very dodgy wiring.
Now I have now moved my Thomson router to as near as I can to the incoming connection on the ground floor and I have netplugs to connect to our desktop in the office in the top of the building and a D Link router (without modem left over from when I had cable at another house and a single port modem) which I have positioned on the middle floor to provide Wifi.
I don't have a test socket and wonder where the noise is coming from. Would I have a claim on BT because the installation is so old and not fit for the modern age? Although I hear from other threads that new build have gone away from supplying test sockets again!
JoJo my implicit question is will my fundamentals change any more? SNR seems high and I understand should establish itself around 6. I had been moving my router downstairs for testing and back up to suit the family. But for the last three days I has stayed near the incomer and there it will stay. I am checking my speed and the Thomson report daily.
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra