Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed faults

davec940
Dabbler

Speed faults

Hello'
Stats as per "Speed faults - information needed to help diagnosis below"
Can I not get the speed as per the estimated line speed?
thanks
Data rate(Kbps)
Downstream 3608Kb    Upstream 444Kb

Noise Margin 3 23

Attenuation(dB) 49 25

Download  Speed 2.57 Mbps

Upload Speed 0.33 Mbps

Estimated line speed: 7Mb

Current line speed: 2.8 Mb
9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Speed faults

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forums.
Can you please get all of the information as detailed here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Modem stats: if you are using the PN TG582n the full stats (including modulation type, up time and error counts) can be found here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0
On the BTw speed test, can you do the further diagnostics and obtain the profile figure.
The figures provided do not "stack up" - the actual speed figures are rather low for the reported attenuation, whilst the estimated speed is far too optimistic (unrealistically so) for that attenuation.  Some more digging is going to be required here.  Can you put your line details in here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and see what services (CN21?) are available and the estimated speed, distance from the exchange.
Is there noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router in the master socket?
Are there extension sockets?

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@davec940
Have you made any changes to the way your router is connected over the last 24 hours? The reason I ask is that your sync speed has shot up to 7695 in that period, whereas previously it had been at around 3500.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
davec940
Dabbler

Hello,
After Kevin's reply I plugged the router directly into the master socket.
Other  info:-
IP Profile for your line is - 2.82 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Distance:- Direct:  2.67 km
By Road: 3.4 km
Status
ADSL enabled: March 31, 2000
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
BT Line Speed Estimation
Fixed ADSL:  1024 kbps (1 Mb)
DSL Max:  3500 kbps (3.5 Mb)
21CN WBC : 7000 kbps (7 Mb)
Data rate(Kbps) 7673Kb 444Kb
Noise Margin 3 25
Output power(dBm) 126 199
Attenuation(dB) 49 25
thanks for your help.
Chris
Legend

That tells me that your internal wiring was causing some issues for you! Let me check back later, I'll run another line test and see where we're at.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Hi again,
Can you try another BT Speedtest for me. If the profile hasn't increased you should run through the steps at https://faults.plus.net as we'd most likely need to report this as a fault to get the profile aligned.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Dave,
WOW!! Nice result!  Cheesy 
For a 49dB line (can I trust that figure reported by your modem - some get it wrong) that synch speed is way over expectations.  The attenuation suggests a line length of 3.5km - which is not too far out from the reported distance by road but somewhat longer than the line of sight distance.  If I reverse engineer the synch speed, it rather suggests that your actual attenuation might be nearer 44dB / 3.2km line length.
As Chris implies, there are a couple of hurdles to be jumped to get the improved synch speed delivering better data speed.
Are you able to work with the router where it is (master socket) or is it essential / desirable to get it back to the other location?  If yes, forum members can help you look at your internal wiring to see if it is possible to deliver a speed at the other socket which is more like what you are getting at the master socket.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davec940
Dabbler

Morning,
Download  Speed 5.95 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 6.12 Mbps
Upload Speed 0.36 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Seems like router will have to stay where it is for the moment.
Could you advise what sort of speed I could get if I were to change to fibre?
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

That does look a lot better.
With regards to fibre our checker show you could get anywhere from 44mbps up to 70mbps.
There's different factors that can affect the line such as distance from the fibre cabinet and the quality of the cabling.
If you have any further questions please let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: davec940
Seems like router will have to stay where it is for the moment.

As I said we can take a look at your internal wiring and see if it can be improved if you wish?
If you do, can you please describe it - how many sockets, how wired (daisy chain or star) - type of master socket - wire type (look at the colours of the conductors - what is connected to which terminal...