cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed fault

epic

Speed fault

Hi ive finally got round to to some testing on my line speed and my speed doesnt seem to match the bt profile.
test results
Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
59.88 Mbps

0 Mbps 67.52 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 59.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-67.52 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 67.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
11.48 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.48Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
This was carried out through a lan connection however powerline adapters and wireless provide similar results.
It also very strange that the max speed i get on usernet is 57Mbps and i have a unlimited speed accounts and have tried different servers.
I also use my own router asus rt -n66u.
my connection i rock solid and has never dropped. i have powered on/off the modem and router to try and achieve higher speeds but with no success.
Would it be possible for someone to check my line?
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed fault

epic

Estimated line speed:
   67Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-03 22:21:42
Current line speed:
   63.4 Mb
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is the problem.
Either raise a ticket asking for it to be increased to match the BT IP profile or post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.0.html where it should be picked up tomorrow
epic

Quote from: Oldjim
That is the problem.
Either raise a ticket asking for it to be increased to match the BT IP profile or post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.0.html where it should be picked up tomorrow

ticket submited
cheers
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi epic,
Our profile is currently matching that of BT at the moment, I can see you've raised a fault anyway.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
epic

After ip profile update here is my latest speedtest. Speed has improved. However my usenet speed is approx 60.8Mbps Max.
Is it possible to set my profile higher say to 72Mbps? then i think my speed would match bt profile.
Also is usenet throttled through QOS by plusnet as it is always 3.5Mbps approx slower than than the bt best effort test? If so is it possible to turn off plusnet QOS as i can configure my asus rt-n66 to perform QOS.

Download Speed 64.2 Mbps

67.52 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi epic,
Your profile is actually correct on both sides, we need our profile set slightly below the BT one (not sync speed, the actual BT profile - 67.52Mbps as per your above results) or our traffic management doesn't work. You should find the speeds are better when they match rather than when our profile is set above the BT one.
epic

Hi matt
could you explainwhat you mean by your traffic management doesn't work.
Also you havent explained why my usenet speed is only max 60.8Mbps. As I would expect it to max out my connection. This is the reason why I ask is it to do with plusnet traffic management.  If so is it possible to turn off as I can configure my router to carry out QOS.
I know they are only minor issues but if you could sort it out it would be a big help.
Cheers
jim:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll have a go at explaining, sure.
Basically the bottleneck for any broadband connection is at the exchange - up to that point, traffic can flow much more quickly. Therefore when it gets to the exchange, there's too much traffic to all go down the line at once, so some of it has to be dropped. The exchange doesn't care what's dropped, so it could be any traffic - streaming, web, downloads, whatever.
However, your traffic passes through our network before it gets to the exchange. If your profile is correctly set on our side, we can make sure that just enough traffic is sent to you that will fit down the line. That way, we can control what traffic is dropped - and make sure that it's the lower priority stuff that doesn't get sent.
Regarding the usenet speed, not sure why - how many threads do you have open, and does adding more help? Were you using the connection for anything else at the time?
With regard to QOS on your router, that only works on your upload - by the time download traffic gets to you there's no point in the router making any changes.
epic

I have 50 threads open however speed is not effected unless i connect with less than 20 threads. see attachment the max speed was 60.6Mbps as you can see from the graph the speed is more or less constant.
Ive checked my i5 3300 processor for a possible bottleneck however max cpu usage 15%.
Is it possible to turn off plusnet traffic management so i can manage my own traffic through router as it looks like approx 3.5Mbps is being assigned for other uses by traffic management?
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The CPU won't bottleneck the download speed, were you using the connection for anything else? Usenet isn't high priority traffic (it'd get in the way of streaming etc if it was, we make it so that the streaming will work even with downloading going on). That would explain it if you were.
You can get the pro add-on from the add ons section of your members centre on our website, that puts everything to high priority if you wish? I believe it's £5 a month.