cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed fault and phone fault

darcy
Grafter

Speed fault and phone fault

I have had an intermittent fault with my broadband (of which I only get around.90kbps at the best of times) and now my phone line has become intermittently noisy. An engineer has been booked for Tuesday. Does anyone know if he will sort out the broadband and the phone at the same time?
Last person I spoke to at Plusnet said I would have to wait after the visit until Plusnet can give me a line reset ! Really fed up of this now.
16 REPLIES 16
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Speed fault and phone fault

Each circumstance is different, but generally fixing the line would resolve the problem on the speed. If you don't notice anything after the engineer, let us know. Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
darcy
Grafter

Thanks, I will wait and see what tomorrow brings after the engineer.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you can post back once the engineer has been, we can advise further and do a new line check for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
darcy
Grafter

Telephone engineer has been here this morning and could not find a line fault although there was noise on the line when the broadband cable was plugged in. I still have 12kbps broadband !!! PLEASE can someone sort this out? I called plusnet on Sunday to discuss leaving Plusnet and even the guy I spoke to could hear the noise on the line.
It was  a line engineer who came today and he thinks it is a broadband fault and he had no equipment to test the broadband. I did a speed test and it is still 12kbps!!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just to clarify, is the line on the noise with everything unplugged except for one phone?
The engineer wasn't there to test the broadband though, he came to fix the fault. If you mentioned the slow broadband, he probably thought the job was incorrectly assigned and left believing another engineer was required.
I will check the notes shortly.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
darcy
Grafter

He tried it with everything unplugged and it seemed ok. Plugged in the phone and was ok until broadband power line went in and it was noisy again
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

OK, I've not got the notes back yet. Do you mean it happens only when the router is switched on?
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
darcy
Grafter

he unplugged everything including the power to the router and phone line was clear until he plugged power into the router again and the noise started. He suggested it was a broadband fault. Can a broadband fault cause noise on the phone line?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just in case, have you tried a different microfilter?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
darcy
Grafter

My socket does not need microfilters.
w23
Pro

If you have a microfilter then it may be worth trying that in the test socket (behind the faceplate), filtered sockets can fail so it could be useful to rule this out.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
darcy
Grafter

All that has been tried already before  engineer came.
w23
Pro

Thanks for confirming Smiley
Call me 'w23'
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Just to be clear, is the phone itself still intermittently noisy?
If so, is this only when the router is plugged in and on?
If yes to both, we need to get this back to a BT engineer for you (a broadband engineer).
If no, we need to look at the broadband fault
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team