cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops as day goes on

Charnondall
Dabbler

Speed drops as day goes on

Hi, im a relatively new customer and been enjoying the broadband service so far. However recently I've been noticing problems in regard to a my download speed. If I do a speedtest in the morning I'll get like 70/18 but as the day goes on the speed gets worse and worse. At 4pm it's 41/18 at 6pm it's 20/16 and at like 8 or 9pm it's at 8mb download with 15mb upload. It will remain like that until maybe after midnight when it starts to creep up again then back to max by the morning.
I know plusnet don't traffic manage or throttle download speeds so I don't know why this would be happening, especially considering how bad the speeds are in late evening. Any suggestions?
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed drops as day goes on

Hi Charnondall,
Sorry to read about the problem with your connection. Checks on your account don't show me anything obvious.
I'm just wondering if you measured those speeds over a wireless or wired connection? I ask as checks over WiFi can appear skewed compared to those done over an ethernet cable.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Charnondall
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
To be 100% sure I measured on both and oddly it is happening on both. It is also having on other devices including my ipad and iphone so I don't think it is localised to a given machine.
It is happening every night however and is very consistent in dropping from early evening and remaining low until past midnight. I have also conducted download tests via speedtest, bt speed checker and via downloading large files. All of these demonstrate the same problem.
Is there any other tests I can do and submit here to help with finding the solution to this problem?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
This could be congestion at the exchange or possibly line interference.
Can you please gather all of the data requested in the speed issues thread at the top of this forum?
After that it would be helpful to see your router stats when you perceive things to be OK and also when not OK.  I'd be looking for a marked change in SNRM here as a pointer to what next.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Townman Charnondall is on Fibre so he won't have router stats to post.
@Charnondall it sounds like the issues that myself and others have been experiencing for over a month now where fibre speeds are perfect during the day but by peek time they drop sometimes to ADSL levels or lower, you might want to post in this thread with speed tests etc taken at Peek time when the speeds drop.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124744.800.html
The thread is being monitored by Dan from network  Support and data taken to give to BTW, he might be able to spot what is going on with you.   
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Terranova667
@Townman Charnondall is on Fibre so he won't have router stats to post.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Yup - memo to self, do not forget to check for statement of fibre - then duck out!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Charnondall
Dabbler

Will make sure to post on that thread also then.
Tested again last night and 6pm was 53/18 and by 7pm it was 14/18. Going to take screenshots of tests tonight and post them. Something is definitely wrong though as was at 5mb down by 10pm last night.
Charnondall
Dabbler

Just a wee update! My net went down on Wednesday at like 11pm and ever since then I've had 63/18 all the time regardless of time. So I'm guessing something was changed/fixed!
Only problem is my Sky Go thinks I'm in a different country now and won't let me play anything
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Try logging into your router and clicking the "disconnect" button to disconnect from Plusnet, Wait a couple of minutes then click the button again (it should now say "connect") to connect again. Hopefully this will allocate an IP from a different range which Sky recognise as in the UK.
David
Charnondall
Dabbler

I'm sorry to say that this has started happening again. Slow speeds between 6 and midnight then in the mornings back to normal. My max speed has also decreased from 62 to 55 which is odd.
Can someone from the plusnet team please check my line and see why these speed drops are happening?
Charnondall
Dabbler

This is getting ridiculous, this is my speed this morning and then again my speed tonight. A download speed difference of 55 mbits is unacceptable, why is this happening? Can a plusnet staff member please look into this.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

What speeds do you get via Ethernet? the screenshots show that the speed tests were done via Wireless?
Charnondall
Dabbler

Chris,
I just did the same test via my laptop and via an ethernet connection and have attached the results below. As you can see its even worse sadly and these dips happen regardless if i use my ipad, laptop or phone. This has been happening now for over a month where the connection slowly drops through afternoon to evening into night but when i do the test again tomorrow morning i'll have max speed.
Charnondall
Dabbler

Ran 2 further tests via TBB and BT Chris, results still pretty dismal and no where near the 62Mbit DL i'm used to in the mornings.
Charnondall
Dabbler