Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropping to roughly 10% of normal speed

FIXED
john_stalvern
Fixes: 1

Speed dropping to roughly 10% of normal speed

I've noticed over the past 3 days that my speeds have been dropping substantially.

Normally I get the full 38Mbps (and I'm guaranteed a minimum of 30Mbps) -- however, on Thursday I noticed it was only downloading at 4.7Mbps, though the upload speed I normally get, around 9Mbps, was unchanged.

Yesterday it was back to normals speeds. Today it's back to being slow.

There are no notifications about service issues in my area at the moment. Any ideas? I'm currently using a Netgear D7000 router to connect to the internet, and using Ethernet over Power points for most things (the speeds are the same for Wifi devices, so I don't suspect the EoP devices).

I've tried switching back to the Sagemcom router supplied by Plusnet -- still the same poor performance.

2 REPLIES 2
john_stalvern
Fixes: 1

Re: Speed dropping to roughly 10% of normal speed

Fix

I've solved my own problem!

It turns out it was the Ethernet over Power adapters. I'm using TP-Link adapters (600Mbps adapters). After unplugging the one plugged into my PC, and plugging it back in, I saw the speeds go back to what I would expect. Very strange.

Moral of the story; don't assume your equipment is working and it's someone else's fault!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Speed dropping to roughly 10% of normal speed

Hi there.

Sorry about the delayed response and I'm glad to see you've fixed your own problem.

Thanks for coming back here to let us know. This may help others in a similar situation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet