cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropping during the day

Zakalwe

Speed dropping during the day

I've only been connected for a few days, and was told I could expect about 7mg rate. So far during the evenings I get between 3-5, but during the day, from about 11am onwards  the rate drops to less than 2, sometimes less than 0.5. I can schedule any large downloads for through the night, but I'd at least like to be able to use youtube without constant buffering, and surf without having to go make a coffee while pages load. Is this the service I can expect, or can someone look into it please?
16 REPLIES 16
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Speed dropping during the day

Everything looks healthy on your line, indeed you have a very respectable 7.8Mbit sync rate on your line.
Can you please ensure that you do your speed tests over a wired connection not wireless. Can you also please provide me with the results of your tests from the BT Speedtester . If you could do a few of these at different times of day, it will help us get a picture of the fault that you see.
Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Zakalwe

Ok, thanks for the reply. Dropped out again earlier (before I saw you reply), but resetting the router got it back to about 5Mbit. Seems I need to keep resetting the router a lot, but as you say I'll keep an eye on it for the next week and report back.
It's a new build, and Openreach only got their wiring in the street done a couple of weeks ago, so there could be teething problems there as I've seen their vans about a few times (though that could just be other people getting their phones installed).
On a plus note, i'm about 500 yards from my parents house, and they have never got higher than 2 Mbit with both BT and Sky - not sure if I'm getting a higher rate because of Plusnet, or because I'm 500 yards closer to the exchange.
Siddy
Grafter

In the same boat as the OP my speeds randomly drop to half a meg according to btwholesales speedtest and it takes over two minutes for a page to load, the magical fix is to reset the cheap router that can not cope with anything! Its that crap i have had to use my older router to get all my tech working without issues, well part from one which is the main computer takes 2 minutes to connect to the internet now.
Guess this is what you get when you sign up for cheap internet though, one problem after another.
Cruise85
Grafter

@Zakalwe  If you could carry out the tests over the weekend that Tony suggested, we can pick that up on Monday and make sure the line is ok, as you stated, it may just be a few teething issues with the new line. I recently moved into a new build myself and had similar issues for a couple of weeks
@Siddy  Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your connection, I'm more than happy to replace the router for you to see if that's the issue, however we only have the TG582n available , so would be the same model router you currently have
Zakalwe

Well, I've been online all day today, and generally have got about 5Mbit all day, so I'm trying to be optimistic. I came from a 100Mbit cable line in my last place so have drastically scaled everything back. That said, it was a month before I could get the phone line installed and had to make do with going to my parents every day for a couple of hours to use their net, so 5Mbit is an improvement over that. Really wish BT would quit rolling fibre out to all the really remote villages in Scotland and look at some of the towns; the town I'm in has no fibre, but the 2 villages about 3 miles either side do.
As regards the router, it seems to be coping with the LAN traffic at the moment, but as I bring more of my rigs online that will increase - Is there a more robust router that could be suggested that I could buy if the need arises? No need at the moment, but curious about my options if I decide to go down that route.
Thanks again for the advise.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The only we supply at the moment is the 582n. If you have a look around the forums you'll see a variety of different routers recommended in all types of price ranges.
If you experience any more problems with the line just let us know and we'll take a look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Zakalwe

Thanks Chris.
My speeds have been fairly constant at just over 5Mbit all weekend. The further diagnostics claim I could achieve 7 on the line, which would be good if it could be done somehow, but my initial panic and hair-pulling seems to be at an end at least.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Zakalwe,
Welcome to the forums.
Please gather and post all of the information requested in the speed issues thread at the top of this forum.
Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
When we have all of this information, we should be able to determine how / if your speed might be improved.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just a thought, are the tests being run via Ethernet or Wireless? They ought to be done via Ethernet with the Wireless off to narrow down where the problem may be.
Zakalwe

@ Townman
The line seems quiet, just a faint static if I listen hard. The few times I've used the phone the other end sounds a bit faint and I've been told I sound very faint to them.
The router is in the master socket - there is only one socket wired in my flat. All tests are done via ethernet - all pc's are wired, only my mobile uses the wifi.
Router stats:
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 3 days, 14:51:32
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,720
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 5.07 / 61.89
BT speedtest:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.97 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.72 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps

Current Line Speed:
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
HELENSBURGH
Estimated line speed:
4.0Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-09-30 20:31:06
Current line speed:
5.5 Mb
Think that was everything - let me know if there's anything else you need me to do.
Thanks again,
Zakalwe
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Can you please post the full router stats - including attenuation, SNRM and error counts.  It is that data which provides the expectation of what your line ought to perform at.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Zakalwe

Quote from: Townman
Can you please post the full router stats - including attenuation, SNRM and error counts.  It is that data which provides the expectation of what your line ought to perform at.

Link Information
Uptime: 3 days, 20:08:06
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,720
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 5.07 / 61.94
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.3 / 19.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 41.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 10.5
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 323 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 9 / 47,706,698
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 670
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 1,630
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
As suggested by Tony your line synch is very respectable for a reported 41dB line (expect 6688kbps) though your synch rate is still higher than this, it is lower than that reported by Tony.  The SNRM is elevated for some reason, if the cause of that can be addressed, then you might get more speed whilst maintaining stability.
@CRT,
Are there any CLT results available please?  Are those error rates of concern?
Kevin