cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropping again

Clapton712
Dabbler

Speed dropping again

Evening, my speeds seem to be dropping again. I had a reset  carried out a few months ago now. Is it possible to have another reset done and pick my speed up?
I was syncing at around 9, then 7, now I'm barely making 5!
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
Clapton712
Dabbler

Re: Speed dropping again

I believe it's a SNR reset I need? Thanks
Clapton712
Dabbler

Any chance of a reply?Huh
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Clapton712,
Sorry we've not replied just yet. I've just submitted an SNR reset for you.
They usually take effect within a few minutes so let us know if that leads to ant improvement for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Clapton712
Dabbler

Hi Adam
Thank you for the SNR reset, however I seem to be dropping off again! My previous supplier could supply a consitant 10MB. Does this consistent drop in speed mean you cannot supply the same speed?
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Something is causing interference which is casing the lower speeds here. Would you be able to swap over the microfilter you've got connected for an alternative?
Clapton712
Dabbler

Hello Chris,
I have forgot about this question, but due to dropping speeds again I have come to revive it!
If I swap the filter out would you be able to carry out a SNR reset to coincide with this?
Many thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Yes sure, we're wanting to find out what's causing this occasional drop in speed so swapping the microfilter would be a good start.
Happy to do a trade-off, Microfilter swap for an SNR Reset Smiley
If you could let us know once done, we'll get the SNR Reset done for you.
Clapton712
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
I have replaced the micro filter this evening so if you could do a SNR reset when you see this I'll keep you updated on the speed! Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've placed a SNR reset on your line, you should notice an increase in speed the next time you're online.
Clapton712
Dabbler

Afternoon Chris,
Seem to have the same problem again! Is there anything else we can try? Is there still some interference on the line? There wasn't with my previous ISP so I hope this can be sorted?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
I think we need to go back to basics - if the SNR resets keep "failing" there is something happening on your "line" which is causing the issue.  The DLM will manage your line for stability, that might mean slowing it down.  You have not posted any router stats so it is not possible to be certain that the SNRM has indeed risen.  Lines can deteriorate, as can filters and routers.  You (or someone close by) could have introduced a new piece of electrical equipment which is causing interference.  Such matters have nothing to do with the ISP you are with, but could have everything to do with the BTOR owned wires, in which case switching ISPs is not going to help you - in case your were giving some thought to that.
Can you please follow all of the diagnostic testing and information gathering requested in the "speed issues" sticky post at the top of this forum.
Particularly can you please do a quite line test - dial 17070 option 2 - you should hear near silence.
Please describe how your phone system (extensions) is wired and where your router is plugged into the phone line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clapton712
Dabbler

Evening.
Please see the below stats:
Home > Technicolor Gateway > Information

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 9 days, 3:13:46
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,216 / 7,887
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 807.14 / 15.90
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.7 / 39.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.8 / 11.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,198 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,531,181,427
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 352 / 5,027
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 178 / 113,496

Currently wire directly into the master socket coming into the property. There are no extensions in the property. I mentioned different ISP as this only happened when switching to plus net. I can see the line degrading or anything degrading over the change over period?Huh
Do the stats show anything?
Thank you!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Clapton712,
From checking your line on our side, it's not showing anything obvious that could be causing the issue. Interleaving may help but you do have quite a high CRC error rate which is a little concerning. Do you reboot your router regularly at all?
If not, please raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can get this looked into in more detail.
Clapton712
Dabbler

Hi Chris. I raised the fault yesterday, and in doing so found a horrible faceplate the previous owners had fitted to the main wall connection. I don't regurally reboot the router at all, it's on and stays on! There is a possibility the face plate was a problem so could a SNR reset be tried one last time?Huh
Thanks