cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 380kbs

grimples
Grafter

Speed dropped to 380kbs

I was getting 480kbs now i can only max 380, could you have this looked at please. The loss of that 100kbs is agonising once you get used to having it. Thankyou
84 REPLIES 84
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed dropped to 380kbs

Hi @grimples

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your connection and I'm currently seeing 3.4mb/s down and 0.9mb/s up.

Could you confirm that you're measuring the speed via a wired connection with the router connected into the test socket of your property as shown below?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Best wishes,

Dave

grimples
Grafter

I dont use wifi. Few weeks ago i was getting 480kbs, went down to 440kbs & now down to 380kbs. BTWholesale test also shows i am getting 3.43mb down. What is 340kbs in MBs please or what speed should i be seeing with 3.43mb down in kbs. If i was getting 480kbs a few weeks ago then there is no reason why i should not be albe to have that speed always, i have stated this fact before. With such low dl speeds 100kbs loss is a lot to loss! I use Firefox 21 & 52, Firefox21 testing with 2 seperate downloads reads 390kbs, Firefox52 gives 380kbs, i am getting these readings from Netmeter but i have noticed of late websites loading slowly, including this one today. I have made no changes to my setup, OS or browser configs. Thankyou
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @grimples, with a 3.43mb download you should be seeing round about 428kbs.

Speeds are likely to vary a little however, so this isn't anything too out of the ordinary. Based on the info you've provided, there's been about 0.4mb difference, but is running within estimates. 

I have tested your line again and you're now syncing at 3.589mb so you might notice a small increase your side too.

Let us know if we can assist further. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

Am really pee'd off now, down to 356kbs, not acceptable, it's torture waiting for items to download or webpages to load. Please look in to this again & please do not blame my end, i have made no changes that would effect my internet. Thankyou.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped slightly.

I've carried out some work which should have improved things.

Can you retest it?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

Slighlty! It's a quarter of my download speed, if i was on 30mb+ or whatever then it would be slighlty. You really notice the difference more when your download speed is already slow, like i said, it's torture. Maxing now at 418 downloading files from two seperate websites, i really really liked having 480kbs :) Thankyou for helping Matthew.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @grimples,

If you are running the test whilst you're downloading two files from separate sites and connecting through a wireless connection, unfortunately the results won't be a true reflection of the speeds you should be receiving. If you're able to, I would recommend running the speed test whilst connecting to the router via an Ethernet connection and whilst no files are being downloaded, for a true reflection of the speeds you are currently receiving.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

I did state earlier i dont use wifi. Am not running the test & downloading at same time, am getting my reading from netmeter, netmeter settings have not been changed either, i dont use netmeter full time, i only start it up if it seems like my download speed has dropped. 2 weeks ago i was maxing 480kbs on browser downloads & torrents then it dropped & dropped again in both browser downloads & torrents for a reason unknown to me as i have not meddled with anything.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, it would definitely be a good idea to run a speed test using speedtest.btwholesale.com or something similar. Let us know what you see currently. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

BT speed test is not working for me now, tried last night & just a few minutes ago, i am still getting 418kbs max. I tried a few other speed test websites but my privacy & security settings must be too high, none of them work in my Firefox 52, i am not prepared to lower them for such websites. I will survive with the 418kbs for the next four weeks i reckon, my yearly line rental saver & internet are up then, if i understood the fella on the phone tother day about prices i intend to upgrade. I have my grandkids over quite a lot & even 480kbs is not good enough if they both use their devices at the same time, eg youtube & netflix. Thankyou for your reply.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @grimples,

Thanks for getting in touch.  We are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your speed, however our tests are not highlighting a problem at our end. We do need to see what happens to the connection when it reaches your device.

Please can you advise which browser you had used to run the speed test, and if the wireless was turned off while attempting to run it?

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 34.3 56.5
SNR Margin: 8.0 6.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 3074 9063
Speed: 934 3850

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2272 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1817
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 36795 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 321
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 2944
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

SammyM, did you read all my replies. I will repeat: Forget the manuaI & i dont care what speedtests are stating, my download speed has dropped (irrelevent of what speedtests are stating) for no apparent reason on my end, this is not the first time it has dropped like this & it was fixed when i posted on here, i was hoping it would be that simple again. I only enable wifi when the grandkids are over & only if they require it for their devices. It could be the router is on it's way out, i have had it since i signed up with plusnet 5 year ago. I phoned about a month ago because the router gives off a high pitch sound indicating to me it has a faulty capacitor but fella on the phone insisted i would have to pay £6 P&P for it to be replaced, i already paid £6 P&P 5 year ago, why should i have pay for faulty/damaged goods to be replaced. Maybe i should have mentioned the router in my intial post. Am running out of patience now!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @grimples your sync has increased slightly from 3.8mb on Sammy's test this morning, to a little over 3.9 when I tested it now.

I understand that the small amount it has dropped is more noticeable due to being on a relatively slow connection, but there isn't really more we can do as you are well within the estimates for your line (based on the download speeds you are seeing from netmeter) and there's no other settings our side that we can amend to improve it our side.

With regards to the router, if the router is 5 years old it's out of warranty which is why you'd need to pay the P&P (£6.99).

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grimples
Grafter

Who owns the router? If you own the router then you are responsilbe for it regardless of warranty. If there really is a warranty issue then it is your warranty not mine. Same principle: You get a new electricity supplier & they insist that you have to buy a new junction box, what would you tell them, i would give them two fingers & go somewhere else. If i dont get a free router replacement in four weeks i will be tempted to go somewhere else because there are cheaper providers, i just cannot be hassled with the changeover.