cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

mkc66
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

I have updated the ticket but the last engineer i had was so rude i felt uncomfortable having him here, it was clear from the moment he came through the door he wanted to do the fastest line test and get out, unlike the first engineer who couldn't have been more helpful.

As this problem is very intermittent which i explained to the second engineer it was useless him being here for the 20 minutes he was

mkc66
Grafter

Morning a very quick wireless test this morning shows I am currently getting a download speed of 0.54mbp/s and an upload of 0.77mbp/s! While I know that wireless is slower I also know it is not that much slower as I have run tests wired and wireless many times one after the other to check this .

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Was there anything running in the background when you carried out that test?

From what we can see you should be getting speeds around 2.5mbps

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

No nothing else was running, any news on when the next engineer will be booked 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry for the delay, I've booked the engineer visit for 25-09-2018 between 1pm and 6pm. Based on what you've said, I've raised an escalation with our suppliers under "engineering attitude" to make sure the next engineer who goes out does a complete investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkc66
Grafter

Hi thank you very much 😀

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems at all.
Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkc66
Grafter

@Gandalf  Still waiting for the engineer but ironically my internet has just dropped out for a short time and reconnected at approx 4.6 mbps (wireless) I can be 95% certain that this connection will usually hold for the next few hours as that is what normally happens when it drops and reconnects, so I fear this will be another waisted engineer visit as they will say it is working perfectly before it has even started. 

mkc66
Grafter

@Gandalf  Hi my ticket was updated after my last post, as an update the engineer has been and left at  2.20, he replaced the socket faceplate in case that was the problem even though it was a new one with the built in filter etc they can go wrong, anyway the internet has just gone off again at 5.25 and speed is back down to 2.38 mbps, when the engineer left it was at 4.51mbps, so I guess the face plate was not the problem, I still don’t understand how I had a connection for months no years  at over 4mbps and it is down to approx 2.5mbps! The engineers  best suggestion was to go fibre which while an option does not explain why the speed has dropped and yet everything shows to be ok when they are here we are on a new router the one you sent out so I really don’t know 😞

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @mkc66,

I'm sorry to hear that the speed wasn't able to be improved after the recent engineer visit. As the speeds are within the estimated speed range and the connection is currently stable, there isn't much more that we could offer in the way of help at this stage, other than offering another engineer visit.

For the time being, it may be worth monitoring the connection speeds again from your end of things now that the phone socket has been replaced and observing if any improvement happens now that the connection is more stable. Please let us know how it goes and if you do have any further queries, please don't hesitate to post them here and we'll be happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@TheMightyAJ wrote:

Hi @mkc66,

I'm sorry to hear that the speed wasn't able to be improved after the recent engineer visit. As the speeds are within the estimated speed range and the connection is currently stable, there isn't much more that we could offer in the way of help at this stage, other than offering another engineer visit.

Unfortunately this appears to be a common stance from Plusnet.  We were in a similar position in that "the estimate" from BT is only something like 1meg, and Plusnet kept throwing that in our face in spite of the fact that we had operated for several years at just over 4meg with our previous provider.   In the end this was the reason for us leaving Plusnet, and I'm happy to say we no longer face that attitude from our current provider.

mkc66
Grafter

@TheMightyAJ @Gandalf @aesmith @MatthewWheeler @adamwalker

So am am I supposed to take by the last staff post tough luck!! It matters not one jot that for the last 7 years at least my average speed has been over 4mbps and that when the connection drops it reconnects at that speed, the fact that it connects at 2.5 mbps is good enough even though it is recent the speed has been so low?Huh

I wonder as it has been so long at least 7 years do I still need to get a MAC code to migrate to another provider?

mkc66
Grafter

@aesmith Just out of curiosity who is your current provider and how long have you been with them please 

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet, please delete if you think this is inappropriate.  My current provider is Andrews and Arnold, and I've been with them since spring 2016.  No, you don't need a MAC code nowadays, the process is all managed by the new "gaining" provider.

However part of the reason for my post was to highlight to Plusnet that this apparent attitude is a serious turn off for customers.  In your case the physical characteristics of the line all suggest it should be running at a synch speed of well over 5meg, which supports your past experience of speed-test results round about 4.5meg.   Plusnet really need to pull their finger out and understand that customer expect the performance that they are used to receiving.  They will not be reconciled with their speed being halved just because someone has written an "estimate" of a lower figure.  

While the line was initially training, it should have recorded two figures MSR "Maximum Stable Rate" which counter intuitively the slowest speed that it synched at during the 10 days, and FTR "Fault Threshold Rate" which is the speed below which a fault can be raised on speed alone.  To compare, my line with an attenuation of 52.5dB has a current synch speed of 4240kb/s,  MSR is 4000kb/s and FTR is 3200.

Your line is better with attenuation is only 45.5dB, so your figures should all be higher.

mkc66
Grafter

@aesmith I am so glad I am not alone in thinking my line should be faster and a drop of half the speed is not right I am currently getting a speed of 1.53 mbps which is ludicrous