cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

mkc66
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

I have since found it last night and tried a few different channels all with the same result it is also nowhere near other appliances  or any neighbours routers 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

For your routers sync rate of 3.3mbps, a throughput(download speed) of 2.8mbps over WiFi is on target.

Unfortunately as these speeds lie within your line estimates of between 2.5mbps to 6.5mbps it's unlikely our suppliers will investigate further.

Have you considered going to fibre? As you should be able to achieve around 62mbps or more on a fibre connection which is a big step up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkc66
Grafter

@Gandalf Fibre while an option is cost dependent as not only is it more expensive but there is also a setup fee and probably another new router cost I believe 🤔 and what if we still get the same problems just at a much higher price. 

mkc66
Grafter

@Gandalf I am not sure why you think my sync rate and connection speed is ok  when my sync rate according to 2 Openreach engineers is  5 to 6 mbps and my connection always used to be roughly 4mbps, I dont see why it would drop unless there us a problem with the line as I have said many times it is not the router and my speed is currently 1.72 mbps not what i call a good speed or connection whereas the 4 was ok for our needs

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mkc66 

@Gandalf I am not sure why you think my sync rate and connection speed is ok  when my sync rate according to 2 Openreach engineers is  5 to 6 mbps 

I'm not too sure where they are getting that from, as DSl Checker is showing the Speed Range which @Gandalf mentioned previously, below is a snippet which shows this - but feel free to pop your landline number in yourself to double check.

I have just checked your speeds again this morning.

Your router is syncing at 3.3Mbps - which, as you can see form the above chart, is within the limits provided. 

If you are indeed using your Wireless Network rather than connection through a LAN cable, it is normal to loose a percentage of this speed - essentially, Wireless is never a quick as Wired.

Thanks, 

MoR

mkc66
Grafter

@Gandalf Another image for speed test as you can see along with my previous image the speed started at roughly 5mbps and dropped, the internet just dropped out as it had been doing and has reconnected at almost 5mbps so clearly that speed is attainable and clearly something is wrong somewhere still as this router has not. changed what is happening with the connection. 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @mkc66,

Thanks for getting back to us. I have placed an order through to modify the settings on your line which will hopefully stablize this issue.

However if the problem arises we would need to determine if the issue is solely over wireless or wired.  Please do not turn off or reset the router, instead please connect a device via Ethernet and confirm if the issue still continues via wire. 

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

For a wired connection I will try that at the weekend as I would have to stand by a shelf holding my laptop to stay as a wired connection, not happening on a Friday night lol 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Definitely doesn't sound a good plan for a Friday evening Grin

Let us know how you get on. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

Hi have kept an eye on it when I have been at home the connection although slower than I have had from you and I have been with you about 8 years seems to say connected but does still drop in speed to under 1mbp/s when not dipping that low it is roughly 2.mbp/s.

I have a record of speed tests going back to 2015 and it shows my speed was over the 4mbp/s up until recently when something clearly changed that and it was nothing my end as I haven’t changed anything so while I appreciate you saying it is within what you would expect I personally would not expect to have my speeds drop by 2mbp/s when I am only getting just over 4, it is quite a substantial loss in speed at that rate of connection.

To add insult to injury I have my elderly mother who lives less than 100 yards from me and I also signed her up to you at the same time her speed is just fine on the same package I am on and her price has stayed at the original cost yet mine has risen for exactly the same service 🤔 seems somewhat unfair. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update. 

As the connection has been stable with an up-time of over 5 days I'm able to request a "DLM reset" this should hopefully lead to some improvement in connection speeds over the next 24 to 48 hours. 

With regards to pricing it's likely your mother has discounts as part of a special offer, if you were to get in touch with our customer options team it's likely they should be able to offer a deal including some discounts in return for starting a new contract with us. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

@adamwalker Connection just dropped out and as per usual when that happens  I now have 4.5mbp/s not expecting it to hold at that speed but again I will say that is what I  used to get, I will continue to monitor it for now 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, thanks for the update. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mkc66
Grafter

@adamwalker With regards to my mothers contract she is 80 and has no discounts as i set it up for her to begin with and deal with it as she is in her 80's and not very techie minded to say the least lol, with regards to the speed increase when my connection dropped as expected the speed has dropped back down 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries, if they're wanting a new deal and if they're out of contract I'd recommend calling our customer options guys on 0800 013 2632(Assuming you're the account holder, otherwise we'd need to speak with your mother if she is).

Regarding your connection I think we'd need to arrange another engineer to further investigate this. If you can reply to your fault ticket Here with your availability giving us a nudge here when you've done so we'll be happy to book the appointment in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet