Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Speed dropped to 2.6mbps

I am still seeing drops on your line at the minute, although you seem to be connected right now. Are you still in the test socket, or have you reconnected the face plate? Below is your connection log, we may need to refer this back to our suppliers, as there is nothing on our side stopping the connection.

mkc66
Grafter

No longer in the test socket as it didn’t seem to make any difference and the engineer put it back to the front having tried the test socket. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mc66 

As far a see can see you still have an active connection since this happened.

Hows the speed looking at your end? 

Thanks, 

MoR

mkc66
Grafter

Hi yes currently connected at just over 5mbps, quite soon after it connected I was unable to use the internet for a short time though still showed as connected but it righted itself, please don’t close the ticket yet as this has happened many times recently, we get a connection sometimes good sometimes not but it never holds for that long and never keeps the speed I currently am getting. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Are you currently connected over your Wireless Network or via a physical LAN cable? 

Sure, this thread will stay open and once your issue has been resolved it will end up moving into the deepest depths of the forums, but will still be open so we can work on it if needed. 

Thanks, 

MoR

mkc66
Grafter

I’ve tried a wired connection and wireless and the result is the same, the connection dropped again at roughly 7pm back by 7.15 but the speed has halved to give or take 2.6 mbps instead of the 5mbps I was getting this afternoon.

Dropped out again at about 11.25pm for a short time.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Are you currently plugged directly into the master socket or on an extension socket at the moment? Also do you have another filter / DSL cable you could possibly try. The season for this, is your SNR is set at 6dB, but it is currently sat at 13dB right now, which signifies that something is causing a rise in the SNR, usually extension cabling, the DSL cable itself or the micro filter. If you can try alternatives of these and let us know how it goes. I have attached a full KBD result for you below;

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 30.7 45.5
SNR Margin: 10.5 13.0
Errored Seconds: 1 1
HEC Errors: 4  
Cell Count: 4274344 57734755
Speed: 864 3008
mkc66
Grafter

In the last 20 to 30 minutes I have been plugged in to the master socket again, new micro filter etc and I cannot even get a connection at all now, this is getting beyond ridiculous and I feel I am just going round in circles with each new member of the Plusnet team wanting me to do the same thing. 

mkc66
Grafter

Have now given up and removed from master socket and connected it back into faceplate of socket, have just about had enough of this as there is clearly a problem that needs fixing 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mkc66

I've attached the visual of your connection below.

As you can see, after the engineer attended on 3/9/18, the connection remained stable for quite some time. Yesterday shows a few drops in the afternoon and today a few more which I think are related to you unplugging/plugging the router in.

At this stage, I would be more inclined to suspect that you may have an issue with your router, rather than an issue with your connection. Although you'll be able to secure a new router should you discuss a recontract with my colleagues in the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632, I would recommend testing your connection with another router in the interim if you have access to one.

Could you let us know if this is possible?

Best wishes,

Dave

Moderator's note:

Font adjusted.

mkc66
Grafter

If you read you will see the disconnection today was because for the umpteenth time I connected to the master socket yet after an hour of trying to connect I gave up as it wouldn’t and connected back to the front socket, I won’t be doing that again as constantly plugging into it won’t repair the problem that exists neither will you fobbing me off. Right connected for sometime is a joke surely half a day Monday Tuesday then half a day Wednesday is not what you call a stable connection especially as sometimes that supposed connection says it is there but is not usable which you,would know if you had read back through the posts also  the engineer made it clear it is not my router especially as we have used more than the one router all with same issues and he said he believes it is you end a dns issue and you were stopping my connection.   So on that why the hell would I recontract when I am paying for a service that you are not supplying satisfactorily at the moment I am more likely to take business elsewhere if you cannot sort it out as it is not my equipment!!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at 3936kbps which is within your estimated speed range of between 2.5mbps and 6.5mbps. As such our suppliers wouldn't accept a fault report as your service is working within acceptable limits.

If the drops today were you moving your router to the master socket, then your connection is stable now.

In addition our radius logs show all the disconnections over the past 7 days to be "unknown (User request)" and our tests are highlighting a "Local Access Network" issue dropping sync, so this won't be a DNS problem.

With that in mind, the next step is to try a different router to try to improve your speeds back to where they were before.

Unfortunately as your router isn't within warranty anymore we can't replace it free of charge but we'd be happy to send you a free replacement (bar £6.99 postage charge) if you agree to a new contract.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkc66
Grafter

Regardless of what it might be syncing at at this moment it dops not hold that speed, a lot of disconnections no one is even at home, the drops today were not me just plugging into master socket as that took less than 5 minutes was after it had already dropped and as I explained it would not connect at all in the master socket.

we have as explained used a different router the the drops over the last 7days plus we’re not all by me rebooting as requested by you or by the engineer during his visit, i would also like to point out the engineer used his own router a test router and said it was not our router, it was the engineer and his team who he rang while here who said dns issues as there was nothing wrong with the router and they could see no other reason other than yourselves doing something your end even if you do not realise this is the case, he also said he would happily investigate further if you requested it. 

The router you supplied is not the router I use as it was awful and we could not even get a wireless connection at the top of the stairs and we do not live in a massive house  so distance was no problem, and be honest would you recontract and be tied to a service that while it has worked well for years is no longer working properly!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It may be worth getting another engineer out there to further investigate, because from our tests the SNR (signal to noise ratio) margin has shot up which means that the software at the exchange is sacrificing speed for stability and ultimately failing. Also, the indicative line quality is showing as Red which means your line is erroring. More info on this can be found Here.

If you can reply to your fault ticket 182167494 with your availability for another visit letting us know over here once you've replied we'll be happy to get the appointment booked in for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkc66
Grafter

Hi

Thakj you hopefully the engineer will find the fault this time as it baffled him last time  it does not help that it is intermittent. I have replied to the ticket now