cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped off

thePhoolish
Grafter

Speed dropped off

My speed was around 1500 up until the 14th June, ever since it's dropped down to a sluggish 900Kbps.
I'm running a D-link DKT-710, plugged into the master socket, I've disconnected all the extension lines.
Router stats are:
Downstream 
Rate (Kbps): 1632 

SNR Margin (dB): 12.4 
Attenuation (dB): 63.5 
Output Power (dBm): 12.3 
I'm 2.92 km (direct) and 3.7 km (road) from the exchange, anyone else think this speed is crap?
17 REPLIES 17
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed dropped off

It looks pretty good considering the attenuation (*line length) and Noise Margin (SNRM).
Have you had any particular interference or wiring problems to push SNRM up from the normal 6dB or has it always been that (longer lines can be more prone to interference)?
thePhoolish
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
It looks pretty good considering the attenuation (*line length) and Noise Margin (SNRM).
Have you had any particular interference or wiring problems to push SNRM up from the normal 6dB or has it always been that (longer lines can be more prone to interference)?

Na, the only thing I've done is replace a aging 5 year old netgear modem with the d-link. The master socket is right beside the electricty meter, dunno if that would cause interference as the electricy cable should be sheilded.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: thePhoolish
as the electricy cable should be sheilded.

You cannot be serious!  Crazy
It wouldn't really be the mains supply as such that causes interference but powered devices which can then broadcast interference back through the mains wiring as an aerial. Unless it's in an armoured conduit for a specific reason domestic mains wiring is definitely NOT shielded.
thePhoolish
Grafter

Quote from: thePhoolish
as the electricy cable should be sheilded.

You cannot be serious!  Crazy
It wouldn't really be the mains supply as such that causes interference but powered devices which can then broadcast interference back through the mains wiring as an aerial. Unless it's in an armoured conduit for a specific reason domestic mains wiring is definitely NOT shielded.

Hmm, I'd have thought the mains supply would have been armoured to prevent accidental cuts.
I moved the router away from the meter box and the SNR rate dropped from 12.8 to 11.8, I thought a higher SNR was better?
Anything I can do to shield the router/adsl?
HPsauce
Pro

Not much you can do except keep phone/broadband stuff away from mains cables as far as possible. Power adapters/chargers are often problematic as well as fluorescent lights.
SNRM is a response to noise, it's set automatically at a level that gets the signal through effectively. For any given line a higher SNRM means slower data speeds so some people tend to "push" it to a lower figure (risking errors) to get higher speeds. 6dB is "normal" so yours is very high for some reason, which may be historical (the level can get "stuck" with BT's kit not readjusting).
Depending on your router you can adjust SNRM yourself to some extent; DMT tool is commonly used.
(FYI my line is currently at 3.1dB set with DMT and has had no significant errors in the last 24 hours)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

go on HP now tell him your speeds
HPsauce
Pro

Shan't  Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all right then, can you answer a question, when the complaint generally is about the advertised 8M speed and most speed test give the answer in M, why do people ask the question in Kbps
geewizz
Grafter

The standards for notation of units are logical but very few people use them properly.
a lowercase k denotes the prefix "kilo" as in kilogramme (kg)
m = "milli" as in millimetre (mm)
M= mega as in megawatt (MW) - watts are denoted by a capital W because they are use a surname. The same rule applies to joules and newtons.
As I understand it, bits are represented by a lowercase b and bytes by an uppercase B.
kb = kilobit
kB = kilobyte
Mb= megabit
MB = megabyte
Gb = gigabit
GB = gigabyte
[edit : these units are quantities of data. A speed is denoted by the quantity over time; i.e. kbps (kilobits per second) or MBps (megabytes per second).]
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be common practice to stick to any single rule. It would really help to clear up ambiguities if everyone stuck to the same standards of notation.
Additionaly, a capital M on its own denotes a bolt size. "8M" is not a speed, it's a handy size of bolt for securing a wooden post to a concrete plinth.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ta, I was being a bit sloppy with my units, I should have known better as I was in at the start of MKS unit introduction
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be common practice to stick to any single rule. It would really help to clear up ambiguities if everyone stuck to the same standards of notation.
thePhoolish
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
go on HP now tell him your speeds

Lemmy guess..  8Mb?

BT speed tester reports downrate at 1762 but actual speed was 740!!!
HPsauce
Pro

That means your profile is moving, which is good. Run the BT Speed Test to verify it.
(20649kbps down and 1300kbps up at present if you really must know - a taste of things to come with ADSL2+, but not for you I'm afraid)
thePhoolish
Grafter

That means your profile is moving, which is good. Run the BT Speed Test to verify it.
(20649kbps down and 1300kbps up at present if you really must know - a taste of things to come with ADSL2+, but not for you I'm afraid)

20 times my rate.. any chance of a microwave linkup?  Grin
HPsauce
Pro

It's the only hope you've got at present.
With your line length the "estimated" reasonable speed with ADSL Max is 1856kbps, which you're quite close to.
With ADSL2+ which BT are starting to roll out and PN will presumably make available in due course it's a massive increase for you to (wait for it) 1952kbps!  Crazy
The only real gain is likely to be on upload speeds (sending emails); I'm not sure what BT are planning to do about those, but your 448kbps on ADSL Max could go to almost 1300kbps.