cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped nearly 20meg since installed

kamalaggi
Dabbler

Speed dropped nearly 20meg since installed

The other day my speed suddenly dropped from 72 meg to 54 meg. I raised a ticket and got the following reply:-
Thank you for getting back to us. I have tested your line and I was not able to find any problems. As you reported the sync has now dropped from 72 Mb/s to 54 Mb/s. Unfortunately I was not able to find a fault as the line now dropped to the speed estimated for your line. The speed was higher very likely to the fact that there was not many circuits connected at your cabinet. As this number increases the speed will drop down to the estimate as this is calculated in by the algorithm that provides the estimate.
Is this right??? I've been happily getting 72 meg for past 3/4 months
4 REPLIES 4
rlancett
Grafter

Re: Speed dropped nearly 20meg since installed

I have the same issue. Had fibre installed last October, got speeds of around 65Mb, then has dropped to around 45Mb since January. Had line checked out with no problems.
NedLudd
Grafter

Whenever my line speed drops dramatically I do a disconnect on the router, wait a few minutes, and then do a connect. This always restores the speed back to usual!
Geoff,
York.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I was under the impression that a fault could be raised if your sync speed dropped considerably from a speed that had been stable for at least 14days previously. Also a fault could be raised if the speed dropped suddenly by 25% both are true in this case unless the speed has been dropping over a period of time?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@kamalaggi
Sorry to hear about the drop in speeds that must be a little disappointing, however the response is correct in the respect that speeds can indeed decrease if there's a sudden uptake in the number of users connected to the same cab, that's the reason why the speed estimates can be conservative.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team