Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 5-6 Mbps to 0.3.

Presto
Dabbler

Speed dropped from 5-6 Mbps to 0.3.

Hi.
I usually get a download speed of between 5 & 6 Mbps but for the last three days it has dropped to around 0.3. I've tried two routers and different filters but that makes no difference to the speed. I've also been having problems with dropped connections for the last week and a half.
The Plusnet IP profile shows the following.
Estimated line speed:Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).Current line speed: 0.3 Mb
The BT speedcheck reports the following.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 243 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4928 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4347 Kbps
Router status is showing
Type Interleave
Downstream    Upstream
Data rate 4928  448 
Noise margin 14.9  23.0 
Output power 19.3  12.4 
Attenuation 47.5  26.0 

Does this mean anything to anyone?  I've been with Plusnet for years and this is the first time that I've had an issue, so I'm hoping its something that can be sorted out easily.
Look forward to any advice.
Cheers
Mark.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed dropped from 5-6 Mbps to 0.3.

Quote from: Presto
The Plusnet IP profile shows the following.
…Current line speed: 0.3 Mb

That's what is restricting you. That should get updated automatically via BT delta reports to match your BT IP Profile but it looks like that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully a staff member will be along soon and manually change the value to 4.5Mbps for you which should fix your present speed problem.
However a dropping connection is bad news and might be what has caused the low speed problem. It looks like the DLM has increased your target noise margin to 15dB to try to stabilise the line which will reduce your best speed from what you had before. Have you worked through the dropping-connection troubleshooting tips here?
David
David
Presto
Dabbler

Hi David - thanks for the reply.  I have been through the dropped connections guide.  My master socket actually has a built in filter, and a separate connections for ADSL and phone.  However, I have also tried putting another filter on the phone connection and running the router off that but it made no difference so I went back to the original connections.
Having said that the ADSL connection has now been running for a full day without dropping (apart from a forced one when I got frustrated with the speed this morning and unplugged the router for an hour on the offchance that something might reset when I plugged it back in).  Hopefully it is just a case of someone pushing a button to re-establish the full line speed.
Thanks again for the advice.
Cheers
Mark.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you had any (unforced) disconnections since you replaced the filter?
Assuming the connection is stable have the automated systems now increased Current line speed in the Member Centre to 4Mbps?
David
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Presto,
The connection appears to be dropping out too, so that's probably related to the same issue.
I can see that you've logged a fault which was the right thing to do, however you may need to revisit the fault checker as it looks like you've not completed it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Presto
Dabbler

Hi - thanks again for the replies.
The issue with the dropped connections stopped about a week and a bit ago before the speed issue. Basically BT found a fault with the roadside cabinet which was fixed (some kind of voltage issue) and that sorted the dropped connection issue and since then I've had 4 or 5 days connected at full speed (5 to 6 Mbps) before it reduced to 0.3.  It does seem a bit coincidental I agree, but I can't see how I would have had a few days at full speed without a single dropped connection, and then suddenly reduce to what seems like returning to dial up speeds. Admittedly, I don't know how these things work.
I've completed the fault checker with more details to include all these details.
Thanks
Presto.