cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped after new contract taken out.

FIXED
PeteL44
Hooked

Speed dropped after new contract taken out.

Last month I renewed my Unlimited Fibre Extra contract, and was expecting the same speeds as before (typically 50/18).  This was confirmed in my welcome email.

I realised after a couple of weeks that I am now only getting 36/16, and in fact that's the speed now quoted in my details.

I have raised this, and have an open question, but no-one at Plusnet seems to know why it has happened.  The latest plan is to send me a Qube engineer, although I am not aware of any technical issues.

It seems to me that I am paying for Fibre Extra, but am now being supplied with plain Fibre.

Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this?

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Speed dropped after new contract taken out.

@PeteL44  Welcome to the forum.

If you consider that a typical contract length is 18 months then statistically one in 18 randomr faults will incur in the month after renewal. This is statistics, not a conspiracy.

The fact that your upload exceeds 10Mbps shows that you are still on Fibre Extra. 
You just need to let the Qube guy have a look and progress this problem from there.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeteL44
Hooked

Thanks for the quick response ... I hope you are right.

Just to clarify ... an excerpt from my welcome email is attached - guaranteeing 40 download.

And a screenshot of my contracted speeds (32-36), as shown on my member page.

I don't want to waste Qube's time, if all they are going to say is that my speed is within range.

Obviously I don't know how Plusnet and Openreach set or change speeds: can you enlighten me?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@PeteL44 

When you renew a contract, this is nothing put a 'paperwork' exercise at Plusnet. It doesn't involve Openreach who supply the service for Plusnet.

Due to the increasing numbers using broadband these days the level of background noise on the cabling is increasing and that has caused a general slowdown over the last few years. A sudden drop in speed is generally caused by a fault on the system somewhere, subscribers switching their hub on and off regularly, increased electrical interference getting on to the telephone line from an external source or people doing a speed test either when something else is using the connection or they are testing over a wireless link. Note that speed testing must be done over a wired Ethernet link in order to make sure that it is not simply a wireless problem.

The first thing to try when looking for a cause is, using a wired phone, ring 17070 then Option 2, the quiet line test. If there is any noise then report a phone fault as this can cause a slowdown.

If you are getting less than the guaranteed speed then Plusnet will get the necessary people out to look for it. If the Qube technician can't find any fault then do not hesitate to report it again.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi @PeteL44, I'm sorry that you're speeds have dropped somewhat after renewing with us, I'd like to cast an eye over your account so please feel free to send me a PM with your username. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteL44
Hooked

Don't know how to send a PM via the Forum ... so I have emailed ...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@PeteL44  Plusnet have no email support so that will not help. Click on @adamwalker's name in his post, then on the right hand side of the page in the Contact Me column is a Send Private Message Button.

You have to have posted a few times to be able to send a PM, you should be OK.

PeteL44
Hooked

Thank you - the PM has now been sent.

PeteL44
Hooked

The Openreach engineer improved a joint at the base of the pole - and I now have about 64/16 - amazing.  Gradually all the wiring from my router to their cabinet is being fixed/replaced ... what will be next?!

Thanks to the forum for your help and suggestions.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to see that, Pete! If you'd like to pass your thanks onto the engineer, I'd recommend filling out the form Here as I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback. If there's anything else you'd need help with, feel free to let us know. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PeteL44
Hooked

Having had the problem solved, I have now had this email from Plusnet ...

Your speed fault

Hello Peter,

During the investigation of your reported fault we asked you to complete some steps to help us diagnose the problem. You have reported that you are unable to do so.

As such, we're unable to continue the investigation so have had to close the query.

This also means you will not have the right to leave your contract without paying any cancellation fees at the end of the 30 day period from the date you raised the fault, or the date we have set out in previous emails.

If you are still concerned about your speeds, please use our online speed tester at: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (more info) and we have some advice on the things which can affect broadband speeds on our help pages.

Kind regards,

Plusnet Customer Support

... what is going on?!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry for any confusion, it looks like we've stepped in to report the fault with Openreach manually after it was initially dealt with via automation. Feel free to ignore that and I'm really glad to see that the issue has been fixed. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteL44
Hooked

Well, that didn't last long.  Speed has now dropped to about 39 again.  So I went back to Plusnet and they said it would be referred to Openreach.

Fault ID773811 was created
Fault start date was added and set to 18-07-2022
Service affected was added and set to Broadband
Fault symptom was added and set to Speed
Engineer visit was added and set to Yes
Outcome was added and set to Supplier
Fault resolved date was added and set to 18-07-2022

Since then, silence.  Do they actually think it is "resolved", or what?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there Pete, 

I'm sorry you never got a reply on the ticket, I can see the advisor that opened it made a mistake so I'll pass on some feedback about that and sorry for the lack of response that led to. 

We'd be best arranging an engineer visit as the next step. Can you let me know your availability in the following slots please?

Monday to Friday

AM = 08:00 to 13:00 

PM = 13:00 to 18:00

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteL44
Hooked

Somebody must have done something ... the speed is back up to about 49/16!  Not worth pursuing further at this stage.  Let's hope it stays acceptable.