Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop

passer
Grafter

Speed drop

Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps

Last night it was 5000, and I was getting about 3300. At 4 this morning when I was asleep the router was resynched and I drop to 2000 and am getting 1900. The router had been up for several days at the time.
What on earth would cause that to happen?
6 REPLIES 6
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Speed drop

Noise on the phone line.
Caused the connection to drop, and resync at a slower speed.
Once the noise has cleared (sound intermittent any way) your speed will/should return but it will take up to 10 days.

Chilly
passer
Grafter

Cheers. Seems a bit of a large drop for one incident though. Does it drop to minimum at the first hint of a problem? I'd have thought it would scale down, maybe by 500 a time.
James
Grafter

Hi Passer,
One invaluable tool in troubleshooting these kinds of problems is the BT Speedtest which can be found at http://speedtester.bt.com
This will show you your IP Profile which is the speed at which BT are limiting you.
passer
Grafter

Thanks for mentioning it James, though I'm already aware of that. I'm an ex-regular from the other forum.
My router synched back up to 4928 within 2 days (BT profile showing 4500 I think), and my speedtests outside of peak-peak are now showing 3500-4000.
I have to say that I don't reckon the drop was noise related, it was too dramatic. I suspect something network-related last Friday night. I'll keep an eye open for anything similar overnight tonight - I'm a great believer in patterns!
I should say that prior to the BT takeover, the highest speed I'd ever had was just under 2300, with an average of about 1500. My average has about doubled since the new pipe went in. Who would have dreamed of a quart-into-a-pint-pot capacity issue? Can't understand why nobody ever mentioned it on the other board...... Huh Wink
chrisc
Aspiring Pro

Glad to see the speeds have returned!
It's great to see that the new pipe is doing its job - we will be lighting new segments as and when they are required to continue improving the service.
winmill

You are having The Same problem as me, it has happened over and over again and although after intense complaining and a visit from a BT engineer resolved it for a short period of time it has returned.
PS they gave me the same story too. Sad