Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop the last few weeks

Ronan
Dabbler

Speed drop the last few weeks

Hello!
I seem to have a broadband speed problem that started a couple of weeks ago and doesn't go away. Would you be able to help?
I used to get speeds of around 7Mbs which was great but recently, we noticed that streaming from Apple TV was no longer possible and speed test show much slower download speed than before. with no changes whatsoever to the general setup. Ping and upload speed are as before.
Speed results are:
From BT Speedtester:
1. Best Effort Test: 

Download Speed : 1 Mbps
From Speedtest.net (wire connection to router)

Speedtest shows a plateau throughout the test, as if I was restricted to 2Mbs despite having the "Pro" add-on.
Here are my router details (BT Home Hub)
Connection information
Line state
Connected
Connection time
0 days, 12:19:50
Downstream
8,128 Kbps
Upstream
448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI
0/38
Type
PPPoA
Modulation
ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type
Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up)
9.7 dB / 24.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)
10.0 dB / 5.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)
13.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Let me know if you need further information! The only thing odd I see is on the Exchange checker (Park Street), I have a Amber status for Virtual Path with no ETA fix time.
Thanks in advance!
Ronan

7 REPLIES 7
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed drop the last few weeks

Could be congestion - your router is synched at full speed for ADSLMax, so it should be performing better.
One other factor to take in to account - what is your PlusNet current line speed?
Ronan
Dabbler

Thanks Jaggies
I get this:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
I understand that it could be congestion but the plateau profile of the speedtest really look like I am throttled instead of the peaks and dips when there is congestion. It seems a fairly new thing too as it was all going beautifully fast until recently.
Hopefully an easy thing to fix for plusnet 🙂
adie:quote
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: Ronan
From BT Speedtester:
1. Best Effort Test: 

Speedtest shows a plateau throughout the test, as if I was restricted to 2Mbs despite having the "Pro" add-on.

Could you post the full BT Speedtester results (including the profile)? Your line could have developed a 2Mbps 'stuck profile'  which is more common on full 8128kbps syncing lines.
Alex Smiley
Ronan
Dabbler

Quote from: houlton23
Could you post the full BT Speedtester results (including the profile)? Your line could have developed a 2Mbps 'stuck profile'  which is more common on full 8128kbps syncing lines.

Thanks for your help Alex!
Sadly, that is all I am getting from the BT Speedtester:

1. Best Effort Test: 

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

That's what I get whatever browser I use (Safari/Chrome).
The Beta version on the BT Speedtester gives:
New Speed Test Beta
Test completed successfully
Download Speed (Mbps): 1.92

Rebooting my router hasn't made a difference btw. I thought it was worth a try 😉
Thanks again!
Ronan

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Those speeds surely breach the low speed fault threshold for your line. I suggest you report a low speed fault using the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net. It's possible that its initial tests might identify and fix the problem. However if it doesn't the more detailed tests done by the faults team will hopefully get this fixed. Smiley
David
Ronan
Dabbler

Thanks ever so much! Ticket #52836390 has been raised. In the meantime, a film from Apple TV has been downloaded over 4 hours 🙂
adie:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Ronan,
I've been looking further into this and I think it might be that although the bRAS profile is 7150, the profile on the DSLAM is 2000 which is limiting your speed. We're reset the SNR which should cure that. If not I can get onto them after 4 hours to get them to manually reset that. Let me know if you see any difference over the next few hours and if necessary I'll get onto it.
Jojo Smiley