Did you mean: 

Speed drop - broadband unusable

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Speed drop - broadband unusable

Peter,
I would say that this is a good result - it has clearly identified an issue and that there is no spare alternative capacity in the infrastructure.  BOTR are therefore obliged to rectify matters.  In my experience, UG teams normally attend within a couple of days.
I believe in this scenario BTOR retain responsibility for the issue and do not pass it back to the ISP - though PN will clearly indicate if I'm wrong.  Wink
Fibre: your assessment is correct - your current d-side connection does not bode well for good operation of fibre.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pedro21
Grafter

Just got a message that the external underground work has been done, shame that I am work right now. Once I get home I will reboot the router and leave overnight, if that does not work I will run through the usual test socket configurations.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Peter,
Nice result - UG works commissioned and completed within 4 days.  Sometimes BTOR can you do proud too!  Cheesy
Rather than just bounce the router etc., when you get home, I would recommend that you just look at the stats.  There is the possibility that BTOR put the line into training again... which we don't want to disturb!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pedro21
Grafter

Kevin
Just had a look at the ping graph from work, it's still all red apart from around 20 minutes last night, BTOR might need to come back out and switch the line over as the last Engineer tried to do. Will test over the weekend.
Peter
Pedro21
Grafter

Kevin
Just been looking at the ticket that I raised, looks like an Engineer is needed, CRT are reporting 2nd visit required, BTOR need  to switch us over to the new install, I have mentioned that on the ticket.
Hope this works as the Hotspot wifi access is getting flaky at the minute.
Peter
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Peter,
I doubt it can be much worse than your current situation.
Kevin

Pedro21
Grafter

Kevin
The hotspot is rubbish on my main PC, but fine on either of my old netbooks that sit next to it.
Does any one know how the underground team add more lines, as the cover between the cabinet and my house have not been lifted (sad I know, but I was walking past to go shopping anyway), even have photos to prove it, the last one is covered in a nice layer of moss (had to scrape that off to find the word 'Telegraph' cast into the metal cover surround.
Peter
Pedro21
Grafter

Strange goings on here, since it started raining again, we have recovered the ADSL connection, albeit a touch slow (0.16 u/s). It first came on for more than 10 minutes yesterday (02-11-14) just before 14:00 hrs and went off around 16:00hrs. I managed to run Routerstats during this time and the graph is attached.
Overnight nothing until 04:00 and lasted until I dialed out on the land line to do a quiet line test, which was still had a small amount of noise.
This has happened whilst the router was connected using the internal wiring.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Peter,
Can you please go and adjust your SNRM plot axis - looks like SNRM has been moved to 12 or 15.  Can you please post the current router stats.

@CRT,
What is your take on this please?  EU has undertaken extensive self help and monitoring.  SNRM is all over the place.  Extended periods of non-connectivity.  Issues seem weather related?  What does CLT look like?  Will you consider a boost engineer here please?
Cheers,
Kevin

Pedro21
Grafter

Kevin
I will adjust the SNRM plot axis tonight, unfortunately i cannot get into the router stats as I am currently at work (unless you know of another way). Just had a look at the ping graph and the connection looks up and down. I will set the routerstats running overnight it I can find somewhere to leave one old the old netbooks so that it does not disturb anyone (its a bit noisy when the fan kicks in)
I have left a note on my ticket with CRT to make an another appointment for BTOR any day am option.
Peter
Pedro21
Grafter

Fingers crossed, we have the 3rd Engineer visiting tomorrow am. Thats the third one in 4 weeks, hopefully he is up to speed, but I will leave a copy of the Plusnet ticket chat with the parents as I cannot be at home tomorrow (work commitments).
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi all,
First things, I've raised a ticket on the account so I can keep a close eye on this.
Our faults team have already arranged an engineer so I want to wait until I have his notes before advising further. In the unlikely event that things don't go to plan tomorrow, I'll take over full investigation.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Pedro21
Grafter

@plusnettony
Engineer has just left home, unfortunately I was not there but my parent were. He was the Engineer that reported a ghost fault, but this time he had been told not to leave until the problem had been fixed. The fault was showing on the line during his investigations  :). He has swapped out the line for one of the spare ones that the underground team sorted (why do I get womble images in my head  :-[). The fault was 14m away from our house, which means its in the overhead cable.
I will monitor over the next couple of days and if all remains stable I will close the ticket.
Thanks for all your help
Peter
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Peter,
Hopefully good news!
When you get home, can you please post a full set of the usual stats?
Modem line stats
BT Wholesale further diagnostic report
PN portal speed
Hopefully we will see them all nicely aligned and appropriate for your line's attenuation.
Kevin

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi Pedro21,
You're not the only one. But you've got this in my head now.... Cheesy
<i> Underground, overground, wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind. </i>  
The line is still banded and I haven't got the engineer notes yet. For this reason I'll keep my personal ticket on this so I can do a few further checks for you.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team