Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop - broadband unusable

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Speed drop - broadband unusable

Quote from: Pedro21
I have tried all the options that I know off, 2 routers, 4 microfilters, two different telephones (digital and analouge) main socket connection and the test socket behind the face plate. The line was a bit more stable but very slow (0.16dl 0.37ul) on Saturday 18th October

Remember that even if changing something fixes whatever is causing the issues you will not see an immediate improvement in speeds. So when for example using the test socket you need to leave it for a day and see if it stops the disconnects. You should also test if using the phone still causes a problem. If it appears better, i.e. the disconnects have stopped,  Plusnet can have the line reset and only then will you see improved speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pedro21
Grafter

@ plusnettony, I have raised the line issue over on the BT community forums and will hopefully here back in the next day or two, once I have anything from them I will let you know. Have to say the BT customer support team where most unhelpful, especially when told to give the line 24hrs after the supposed nisoe fault repair (either the BTOR guy fixed it or not), all they could come up with was that it was fixed !!. Hopefully the diagnostic team can find something somewhere.
@ jelv, I went through this same problem mid August, not quite as bad we at least had a connection of sorts, this time its up and down like a jack in the box on speed. I have tried both router in the test socket for 24hrs each. The problem is trailing cables across door ways, not that I care much for health and safety, but with older parents around its better to be safe than sorry. Last time it took about 3 days for the speed to increase back to normal.
Regards
Peter
jelv
Seasoned Hero

How many disconnections did you have while the routers were in the test socket?
Quote from: Pedro21
The problem is trailing cables across door ways

Was that power and Ethernet or just Ethernet?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Peter,
Thank you for the graphs, they are VERY useful.  With out any fear of contradiction, you have really bad REIN coming from somewhere.  The router stats graphs show a horrible story.
Explanation: when SNRM is higher REIN is reduced, when SNRM is lower, REIN is more prevalent.
Can you correlate any DOWNWARD shift with anything being switched on (or coming out if standby) or UPWARD shift (not associated with a resynch) with anything being switched off (or going into standby).
REIN fits in well with these plots and no fault being found on the phone line.
This is likely to take some time to bottom out.  Please keep the plotting running 24x7 and we are going to need to look for reoccurring patterns and times.
Edit: Just remembered I've seen patterns like this before - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125789.msg1103047.html#msg1103047 - when you see the defending plot, can you please just pick up your phone and put it down again.  I'm interested in knowing if SNRM recovers just as did Uncle_Meats's.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think there's clear evidence of REIN - with such a low sync speed, I wouldn't attach any great significance to the graphs. The variability of the noise margin on the graphs will be exaggerated by the speed being so low. If it really is REIN, then the noise margin should shoot up and remain high if the source of the interference ever gets switched off.
Pedro21
Grafter

@ Townman, I cannot think of anything in the house that has changed recently. I tried the alternative router overnight with no luck. During testing last week we even unplugged the digital cordless phone completely and used the older style phone, that made no difference to the connection.
The routers are in the same position that they always have been ever since we got broadband through Plusnet.
It does seem strange that the problems occurred after heavy rain.
On Saturday (18th October) when we had a connection picking up either phone would drop the DSL connection and it would take around 20 minutes to recover.
I will need to set the Routerstats recording tonight as I am back at work right now (with as nice 76Mb line, also with Plusnet), with an understanding boss who lets me use it without to much concern, joys of long service  ;D.
@jelv whilst plugged into the test socket there was no connection at all, it was just an ethernet cable, I will need to route around the door when I finally switch to FTTC once this is resolved.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Pedro21,
I've updated your ticket along the lines of the information provided yesterday. Basically, with the information that we got yesterday, and the testing already done (assuming advice followed here has been followed) we can progress.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you thought of using homeplugs instead of an Ethernet cable?
Pedro21
Grafter

@ plusnettony
Thanks for that, I have just got the text for arranging an Engineers visit, I will check with the folks at home tonight and come up with 3 dates, can I post them here or do I need to respond to the text.
@jelv, homeplugs would be ideal, unfortunately the mastersocket is some 3metres away from the nearest plug socket.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,
If you can post the times on the ticket please (or reply to the text), and then bump this post to make us aware (we'll get to it sooner than the faults team).
Ta,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Pedro21
Grafter

@ plusnettony
Any day next week will be okay, prefer 8am to 1pm. Gives me a chance to warn the boss about working from home again  Wink
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Cheers for that Pedro,
I've checked your account and faults have beaten me to it. They've sent a text with confirmation.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Pedro21
Grafter

@ plusnettony
Yep, Engineer visit booked to next Monday morning, hopefully he finds the problem.
Thanks for all your help, will be looking to switch everything over to Plusnet in the next month or so and upgrade to fibre  Smiley
Regards
Pedro
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's good to hear.
Let me know if you have any problems and I'll see what I can do.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Pedro21
Grafter

@ plusnettony
Bad news I'm afraid  Cry
The Engineer left around 14:00 hours having spent the best part of 3 hours trying to trace the fault. He did find a fault on the line from the house back to the cabinet but not the other way. He then tried to switch lines and must have been up and down the nearest drop pole 5 times, he even tried the next pole down the road. Unfortunately there are no spare lines and he was going to report it to the underground team as the problem is between the cabinet and where it rises up to the pole. At least this Engineer spent good time on the fault and did not just report it as a 'ghost fault' like the last one, he is even thinking of reporting the last job as unsatisfactory.
Where doe this leave us, as we are paying for broadband that we are not getting and how long with it take for BTOR to send an underground team out ?, this is also causing some concern over switching to FTTC.
Regards
Peter