cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop after moving to Plusnet from Sky

tony8436
Grafter

Speed drop after moving to Plusnet from Sky

After moving to Plusnet and being told that there would be no compromise in service, my speed has dropped from 3 to 3.5 Mbps to 1.5 to 2 Mbps. Tech support say that this is the fastest my line can handle despite the speeds I was getting before I switched. My router stats are below.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 00:03:07
Downstream: 1.68 Mbps
Upstream: 443.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.3 dB / 14.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 60.1 dB / 38.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.2 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1 / 64
134 REPLIES 134
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed drop after moving to Plusnet from Sky

Thanks for the info, I'm sure some other customers will be along to interpret the stats and provide some additional input.
From our side of things, your line has had a burst of disconnections earlier today, which doesn't look good:

Downstream:  1.68 Mbps
Upstream:  443.9 Kbps

Is your router still showing the same as a line test here is showing 2520 as the downstream connection speed and as mentioned above your router has disconnected a few times today which could explain the differing speed you're seeing to us.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tony8436
Grafter

Here are the current stats
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2days, 00:04:06
Downstream: 2.461 Mbps
Upstream: 443.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.2 dB / 14.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 61.6 dB / 38.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.1 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 56
tony8436
Grafter

And here is the Speedtest.net result.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4082931075
AndyH
Grafter

Are you connected to the master socket?
Also which exchange/cabinet are you on (you can find out here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ if you put your number in)?
tony8436
Grafter

The socket is and ADSL faceplate installed by a BT Openreach engineer, the same one I had when I was getting 3+ Mbps with sky. I only have one socket in my house so can't test any others and tech support said there was no need to try the test socket because of the faceplate I have.
tony8436
Grafter

I am on the Hollinswood exchange, cabinet 34 (despite 2 exchanges being closer to my house, Openreach thought this would be a good idea).
AndyH
Grafter

I had a quick look at the fibre rollout for your area. Your not part of BT's commercial development, but you are part of Telford & Wrekin's superfast rollout plans. I would assume that BT will get the contract and if they do, you're expected to get FTTC with a big improvement (most properties on that cabinet are showing an expected x62.42 speed increase over ADSL).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My guess is that Sky were using a 3db target noise margin compared to the 6db now. The error rates look good so I'd suggest giving 3db a go.
Also possible is Sky were using ADSL2+ whereas this has dropped back to ADSL2. Finally looks like upload has been capped.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend

Yup, the upload is showing as capped at the moment.
The 3db, I'd be happy to try but I need to warn that it *may* cause some instability, the disconnections earlier today concerned me a little but @tony8436 I can give that a try if you like?
@jelv The SNR is dropping significantly from the trend data we have:
MIN:2dB | MAX:7dB | AVG: 3dB
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tony8436
Grafter

Please don't get me started on the fibre issue. I have already taken this up with Openreach as we are the only estate in the area a). not connected to the nearest exchange, and b). not able to get fibre. Not surprising as this estate is rented by the MOD to house military personnel. It is not only here that this has happened, at my last base we came 35th in the BT race to infinity and it has still not been upgraded. We weren't included in the councils roll-out plans until I started a petition and presented it to our MP. Unfortunately, it will come too late for me as I am stuck in contract with PN and they have said that when Fibre is available, I will have to start the contract again if I choose to switch and they only offer 18 month contracts for fibre. Being in the military, we move every 5 years and I have already been here for 3 years so unless we have fibre available within the next 6 months, I wont be able to have it.
tony8436
Grafter

Have no idea what you are talking about jelv, but it seems that Chris does. If you can try this please Chris, it can't make it any worse than it already is.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The extra information Chris added doesn't look good. Can you keep monitoring the downstream noise margin in the stats you posted (it was 6.2 dB). If you don't see it drop below 4, trying a 3db target may be worth a try. If it is dropping lower than that changing the target to 3 will likely cause issues. When the target is lowered you get a higher sync speed but run a greater risk of errors and/or disconnections.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tony8436
Grafter

Chris,
I have been told by one of my neighbours that there was a BT Openreach van in the area earlier today, if they were doing something on the network, could this explain the drop outs?
Chris
Legend

Ah possibly! Not something I can confirm for definite though, but the line doesn't look overly unstable other than today (there have been a couple of drops but not a huge amount).