Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop after loss of dial tone.

Lotusxyx
Grafter

Speed drop after loss of dial tone.

Hi guys,
    been with plusnet for a few months now, and after a few shaky occasions, all the problems seemed to have been ironed out.  However, last week, my phone line completely dropped inexplicably.  I had no phone line nor internet from Firday 11th until Tuesday 15th.  The problem was resolved, but I was given no information as to why the line was dropped in the first place.  Anyways, the problem is, after getting my phone line back, my browser speeds seem to be a lot slower than they used to be.  Beforehand, I had a very stable 8/9 Mbps, could watch streamed video without problems, etc.  Now however, I need to leave any video to buffer for a good while before I can even watch a portion of it. 
  I guess what I'd like is for someone to check what's happened to my bandwidth since my phone line dropped out, because it's become quite frustrating now.  Really appreciate any feedback I could et on this.
Thanks very much :).
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed drop after loss of dial tone.

If you post the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html there is a good chance we can help
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I've run some tests on your line and can see no problems with that. However I can see that your connection has been dropping frequently and as a reaction to that the speeds have dropped. I'm going to advise raising a fault again: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults feel free to reply back once you've done so and I'll look at this again for you.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lotusxyx
Grafter

@ Adam Walker,
Hi,  
 I wish I could explain the frequently dropping - believe me it's annoying as hell.  I can just be browsing the internet and without reason, I'll have no internet connection.  It'll only be down for a few minutes, but it's extremely frustrating to have it happen.  I'm not turning it off myself, it's just magically dropping and coming back.  Again this has been happening since the (just as miraculous) phone line drop.  
@ Oldjim,
I'm working through the bt line tester, I'll get back to you once it's done.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:33:38
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 15,800 / 8,488
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 744 / 8,183
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 7.68 / 72.30
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 434 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1,572,844 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 43 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 44,127 / 64,790
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 12 / 434,355
--
Estimated line speed:
5Mb (This may vary between 3.5Mb and 7.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-06-22 09:34:04
Current line speed:
4.5 Mb
--
See attached image for BTtester data. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lotusxyx,
If you haven't gone through the faults questions yet it's worth looking here, particularly the part about the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Basically the Plusnet mirror of the IP profile isn't correct
The IP profile is 7216kbps and the Plusnet one should be 7150kbps but is 4500kbps and this will be restricting your speeds
Lotusxyx
Grafter

So the plusnet profile has dropped thanks to the inexplicable connection drops?  Is there anything I can do to...stop it happening?  Another thing I'm curious about, and I know this is in the wrong forum to discuss it, but my now-ex-partner broke up with me recently, and I have to move house.  In essence, I'm wondering if it's possible to move the account and billing in to her name?  She's agreed to it, but I just need to know if it's possible.
Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In answer to your second question - yes it is
However if the phone account is with BT changing that may well trigger a broadband cease. If it is with Plusnet there wouldn't be a problem
Regarding the profile that should recover by itself but a Digital Care Team member may well spot this and update it manually
Lotusxyx
Grafter

Thanks Jim,
  The phone line and broadband are both with plusnet, so it shouldnt' be an issue. 
Lotusxyx
Grafter

I still seem to suffer from inexplicable line drops, which is probably keeping my bandwidth from returning to normal.  Is there any way I can find out what's going on?  Really getting annoying now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is the phone line still noisy or has that been sorted now?
Either way I'd recommend logging in to http://contactus.plus.net and returning ticket 48692025 advising whether the noisy line fault is fixed, if it is then put what you can regarding the dropping connections and we'll get it investigated.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The phone lines to my house are underground and tend to be underwater if we have heavy rain.  Water ingress to a joint that was meant to be sealed caused my line to become noisy and that was followed by a complete loss of dial tone.  I was able to get this fixed but I imagine it might have recovered spontaneously if it had dried out - until the next heavy rainfall that is.  During the loss of dial-tone my broadband kept going at a much reduced rate.  After the fault was fixed it took over two months to get back to normal (because the SNR had been raised to 15 dB).