Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down

spark119
Dabbler

Speed down

Hi

I recently had a period of disconnections after nearly 60 days of stability I was getting around 17mb speed on a 20.3 ish sync speed however after the disconnections the sync speed is back in the 20's but th fastest speed I can get is 7mb 

what can I do to get the speed back up?

thanks

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Speed down

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

It looks like your sync dropped to 7900kbps around the 20th June and the speed profile on your account along with it.

The sync and the profile has since recovered but there haven't been any disconnections since that's happened so the old profile would still be capping your throughput.

As I'm writing this, it looks like there's been a disconnection about 90 minutes ago, how's your speed looking now?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spark119
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

Its better at around 12Mbps on a wired connection straight to thr plusnet router. I was getting near to 17Mbps on wireless previously. I dont know what caused all the disconnects 1 minute it was woking the next i could not connect at all. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Can you try a reboot of the router and let us know how your speed looks?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spark119
Dabbler

Sorry for late reply rebooted router speed is ok at 12M/b but still not as good as it was maybe I will never get back to that

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spark119
Dabbler

Hi Townman Info as follows

Router Stats:

Link Information

Uptime: 5 days, 8:14:17
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,263 / 21,183
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 815.38 / 1.99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.4 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.4 / 21.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.4 / 2.7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,441 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 3,949
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 26,398

BT Test

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  17.05 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.05 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 18.69 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.9 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.9Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Current Line Speed 18.6

To be honest it has got better but i don't know what caused all the drop outs and it seemed to take a long time to recover

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's all really interesting.

Your router has been running at 21Mbps for over 5 days. The profile is nearly 19Mbps. The most recent speed test delivered 17+Mbps - that all looks sweet!

Saturday's speed test therefore becomes a mystery. Was it over a wired connection with wifi SWITCHED OFF?

One should never presume that just because a device which usually connect via wifi has an Ethernet cable plugged in is working over said cable, unless the wifi connection has been proactively inhibited.

Can you be sure that nothing else was using the internet during saturdays test (cloud back up, windows updates down loading)?

Suggest that you just keep a watch on the router stats as they tell you what is teally happening in the space which can be 'adjusted' by PN.

Really pleased to see that you've got your speeds back - would just live to have one-third of that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spark119
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply

Everything seems to be back to as it was I have no idea what caused it all.

The tests have been done on a IMac with wifi disabled as it is next to the rest of the equipment i use and it is easy to connect everything by cable. There were no backups or anything else running. the router is an old TG582n which may be failing so i might treat myself to something new

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To be honest the TG582n with the updated firmware is darned good at managing tha ADSL side of stuff. You'll note that you are running at circa 3dB DS SNRM - I expect that it will keep trucking at that without issue. Certainly mine does. What's also useful it that routerstats works well with it if you ever wanted to do detailed monitoring of the link.

The area to examine next if you hind from time to time at certain times your DATA speeds are below par would be to explore exchange congestion. The Think Broad Band quality monitor is useful for that, but can be a pain if you are on a dynamic IP.

As I said above use the speed stats from the router as your bench mark.