cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed down and noisy line when router connected

welshviking
Grafter

Re: Speed down and noisy line when router connected

The thing i cannot get my head around is when the router drops out why does the line go quiet, surely the line must be ok if that happens...(im just a novice so could be totally wrong !!!) also why is it i can actually hear the router boot back in on the phone line despite running through a bt standard filter
puddy
Grafter

BT dont always charge
In my case they refund the cost in full the engineer said in his report that he had done no work and it was a phone problems
I told BT he changed my BT master socket and re-routed the wiring from the outside and replaced the trunking outside and sorted out the wiring mess when we got our extensions lines added he asked me who had done the wiring I said BT did and showed him our bill for the work when the house was new (2 years old) plus he did some work in the exchange
Bill £0.00
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what was that a reply to?, there hasnt been any mention of cost for two pages
welshviking
Grafter

Just come home from a 12 hour day shift to this  Shocked
Done everything asked of me last night, adware programme and run a complete test and also a full virus check done, speed was actually peaking at approx 1000 Kpbs last night but tonight is awful
Download speedachieved during the test was - 105 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5408 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Not been able to do anything today cause of work and in work again tomorrow so not looking forward to tomorrow night as it will probably be slower than the old dial up !!!!
welshviking
Grafter

Arranged for a BT engineer to come out on Monday Pm...just hope he finds a fault externally or its going to cost me lots of £££££
welshviking
Grafter

Well at least its consistently sh**  Cry Off for a 12 hour shift ...aaarrrggghhh !!!!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi welshviking,
I guess this is a phone engineer? Hope he manages to sort it out for you. Give us a shout if not.
welshviking
Grafter

Hi Matt, Sorry for not replying but been busy with work, yes the phone engineer is coming out on Monday afternoon.
One thing at least the speed is constant now , been like this for  4 days solid now  and again incoming and outgoing calls are knocking my router out. Just hope after this awful 3 weeks i have had it does end up to be a external Bt problem or i will be back to square 1.

welshviking
Grafter

Is this a coincidence or are Bt not admitting they found a fault with my line. I had the phone engineer booked to come round this afternoon between 1pm - 6pm to check my phone line, i had a text via Bt at 1.15pm saying that the engineer could not gain access to my property and to make another appointment, thing is i was here and had not moved out of the house all day, so i rang Bt up gave the guy a mega bollicking and re-booked the appointment for tomorrow morning.I have just checked my speed and to my utter surprise after 3 weeks + of hell this happened.........

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3880 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5984 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps
Any thoughts please ?....Regards Colin
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm... I'd wait and see what happens tomorrow. It may be that something was done, but it may also be that the speed will drop between now and tomorrow morning. I guess the real issue is whether or not the line is still noisy - if not you may be all good, and I certainly hope that's the case here.
welshviking
Grafter

Hi Matt, Thanks for the reply the line is very quiet and i just phoned 17070 (quiet line test) and done a speed test while i was on the phone , speed still very good and not a sound on the phone and so far since the speed went back up no disconnection from using the phone. Will wait till the engineer comes tomorrow and have a chat with the engineer to see what he thinks.....Colin
welshviking
Grafter

Unbelieveable.....Had an engineers visit booked for today 8am - 1pm after yesterdays fiasco when the engineer claimed he could not gain access to the property despite myself being in all day. Guess what automated message i received today at 08.15am (i have been up since 07.30am with the kids for school)
You scheduled an appointment for: 27 April 2010 AM. An engineer arrived at the agreed time, however we were not able to gain access to your premises. Please reschedule your appointment using the adjacent link. If you do not do so then we will not be able to progress your repair.
Now either Bt (or whatever they are now called) are taking the pi** or they are simply not bothered as i am actually leaving Bt on the 6th May. Luckily so far my speed is still good and no noise on the phone line but no guarantee that will stay this way.
Another bizarre twist the Openreach engineer just turned up  :o,he checked the line and everything is 100% perfect, but he did tell me yesterday he was working on a green junction box about 50 yards from my home which supplies all of my street, he did find lots of corroded connections which he stripped and re-crimped and there is a very good possibility that one of them connections was mine hence my broadband speed and poor phone line all of a sudden dramatically improving. Fingers crossed that this is the end of a 3 weeks + nightmare !!!!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4393 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5888 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps

welshviking
Grafter

Thats more like it....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting. Ah well you can't argue with results - glad you managed to get it sorted Smiley