cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed / connection problems - will anything help?

Beatnik

Speed / connection problems - will anything help?

Hello all
Just looking for some advice on two (?connected) problems with my broadband.
(i) Persistent drop-outs in connection.
We've had numerous losses of internet connection. At times it's significantly worse than others, difficult to say if there is any correlation with the weather. Usually at least once every couple of days, may be up to double figures on particularly bad days.
Essentially, the router drops down to a flashing broadband green light. No internet. We've discovered that the connection can be restored by dialling out - there's a distinct hiss, crackle on the line before it clears, eventually followed up by the broadband returning.
Have flagged it up as an issue before - line checked remotely, no problems detected etc. Offered engineer but can't really shell out for this.
(ii) Drop in speed.
Prior to (i) had experienced quite good speeds (>4) , now down to sub 2Mbps, often below one. I note the max current possible speed has dropped to 2.  Makes streaming etc nigh on impossible. I've posted router / speedtest details below, but was wondering if the issues contained in (i) might be limiting my available speed?
Even for a novice, it seems like my line is the main problem, but at the moment I can't see how to get evidence of such an unpredictable problem.
I'd be very grateful for an expert opinion.
Many thanks
Andrew
All info below obtained from master socket

Link Information
Uptime: 2 days, 0:11:29
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2.268
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 678,55 / 1,09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,1 / 49,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 10,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 45 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 6 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 595 / 6
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 995.767
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 172 / 337
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 69 / 1.558

Best effort test
Download speed 1.58 Mbps  Max achievable 2 Mbps
Upstream speed 0.36 Mbps  Max achievable 0.45 Mbps
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Speed / connection problems - will anything help?

Hi there,
Having read over your comments, it's very likely that the connection drops you describe in (i) are causing the slower speeds in (ii).
We've discovered that the connection can be restored by dialling out - there's a distinct hiss, crackle on the line before it clears, eventually followed up by the broadband returning.

That sounds like something we need to look into as a phone fault.

Have flagged it up as an issue before - line checked remotely, no problems detected etc. Offered engineer but can't really shell out for this.

You shouldn't have to shell out for it, the charge is only applied if the fault is caused by your internal wiring or setup and the tests we ask you to do should eliminate the likelihood of this.
I'm going to create a ticket on your account outlining the test for the phone noise issue, you can view this at https://contactus.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Beatnik, welcome to the forum. Chris has obviously got this started for you. Intermittent faults on phone lines usually make a mess of the Broadband and don't always show upon remote tests. When reporting phone faults, if your line rental is paid to another supplier, you don't mention the broadband otherwise you get the run around. Well that shouldn't happen here. As long as it's made clear that the crackling is intermittent (egg it up a bit about how it affects calls) a decent engineer should be able to locate an iffy joint or connection with his JDSU or Hawk tester (if he's still got one of those). Once that's sorted the your broadband issue can be resolved.
Beatnik

Many thanks!